Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Card

 
 


"Sometimes a random act of kindness can come from someplace least expected..."



The other day I walked down to the mailbox to get the mail. These days we don't get much. A few bills, some circulars, and mostly junk mail. What I was waiting for were my Mother's death certificates. I have some loose ends to tie up, and I need to send a copy of her death certificates to do so.

When I got the mail, it was just the usual stuff. Except for one thing - there was a card addressed to me from someone I did not know. When I got back up to the house, I opened it. Inside the envelope there was a very simple sympathy card from someone unknown. It turns out it was from a woman who lives in a neighboring town (I saw the return address). Besides the card, were three crumpled up dollar bills.

I was perplexed. I showed it to my wife. I had no idea who this woman was and why she sent this card. Was this a friend of my Mother who I had never heard of? I got on my computer and did a search for her phone number. Once I found it, I called her.

After a few rings, a woman answered the phone. I introduced myself, and then thanked her for the nice card and gift. I asked her where she knew my Mother from. She replied, "I did not know your Mother. I read the obituary and was moved. Your Mother has the same first name as my Mother. My Mother died a short time ago at about the same age as your Mother. I just felt moved to send a card."

We chatted for a short while and I thanked her again and then hung up. After about five minutes, the phone rang. It was the same woman, calling me back. "I just wanted you to know this is something I do from time to time. I think it is important to reach out to people who have just had a loss." She went on to tell me her story. Widowed, age 76, one child and some grandkids and great grandkids. And lonely. Since her husband passed, she gets lonely. Sending cards helps.

I told her that my wife and I don't like lonely. When she feels alone, lonely, or would just like to chat, to please call us. We chatted some more about some memories she had about her husband and then we hung up. All this from an obituary followed up by a random card. God, the chess player, was at work once again. Connecting people. For reasons. Some reasons known to us, and some unknown. All I know is this - my life has been enriched by this one simple card, with three crumbled dollars in it. I was enriched as this card was only a key - a key to the door to someone's life whom I had not yet met. 

No comments:

Post a Comment