Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An expensive dinner out

 
 


"Looks good, tastes good. Except for the sky high price and no change back, not a bad night after all..."



Last night my wife was busy, so I went out to dinner by myself. I went to a cozy little spot I have been to many times before. They have a hamburger special on Monday nights. It is a 1/3 pound burger with all the trimmings and fries. And price recently went up to $35.

I know there are other places which could give me more for less, but I keep coming back here anyhow. I feel sorry for the place as they have trouble managing their money. I have some loyalty as I have been coming here most of my adult life Their business acumen is about zero, and they have wasted money many times on many foolish things.

When the bill came, I gave the waitress a $50 bill, expecting to get $15 back. She thanked me, and said their new policy allows no change to be given. She went on to say the restaurant needed to keep everyone's change so they could keep wasting it on foolish endeavors. In fact, she then told me the price of a burger would be going up to $40 next Monday, as the restaurant needed even more money.

I tell this goofy story for a reason. When we live in a VERY high taxed state, and then find out there will be an almost $2B surplus, that means the state took in WAY too much money. Period. Most everyone seems to know that. Even though many in our state government spend taxpayer money like drunken sailors, the amount taken in was still way too much.

Even with that, they are some in state government who have the STONES to say the state needs to keep this surplus. They can find SOMETHING to spend it on. Oh I am sure they can - but so can we, the taxpayers. I for one, would like my share of the surplus back. I have a bill coming due on April 15th. My Turbo Tax program says I owe $2,500 to the Great State of Minnesota. Why? Because unlike most other states, they are taxing senior citizen's retirement income.

To ensure Minnesota maintains its viability to be a good home for working folks as well as its senior citizens, our spending and taxing must be realistic. Our neighboring states seemed to have figured it out. For some reason, we continue to stumble.

If I may quote some lyrics from the song The Show by Lenka, "I want my money back, I want my money back...."



No comments:

Post a Comment