Sunday, March 25, 2018

Just happy to be here





"Bottom line - I am just VERY happy to be here today, and not in the hospital - or worse."


It was just this month I got into a big conversation with my Nurse Practitioner during my nephropathy treatment. We talked about falling, and how dangerous it is for anyone over 65. She told be the mortality and morbidity factors go up like a roman candle when one gets past 65. Bone density, brain fragility, joint weakness - she went on and on. It made it sound like our bodies become old rusting junkers. I told her ever since I had my fall 3 years ago (balance) before I started treatment, I have been very, very careful. She advised me that was good, as March in Minnesota is the top month for falls (re-freezing of ice). I told her I would be very careful. I wanted to keep my three year record of no falls going.

My fall yesterday was not due to my nephropathy - it was me missing the fact I was on a curb due to my bifocals. It was over in an instant - and it was a true "header". I have been told that is the worst kind of fall to have, regardless of age. I have re-played that fall many times in my mind. I had no business getting out of that fall as gently as I did. I should be in Mercy Hospital waiting to have dental surgery, facial reconstruction, or worse. 

This is the umpteenth time in my life the Hand of God has saved me from something worse. For those who do not believe in God, you may snicker. However, for those who believe, will know what I am talking about. Right after I fell, my wife feared for the worse. My head was dripping blood, my hands were a mess, but a quiet voice inside me told me I was okay to walk. I could get up. With a bit of help from my wife, I did. Then we walked over to the car. 

Once in the car, we could not get the head wound to stop bleeding. We really wanted to get down to Union Gospel Mission for the event we were going to attend. But then that quiet voice said, "you need to go to the hospital". It is a good thing we did. We needed medical help we could not do at home. 

This morning in church, we learned about how to keep growing in our faith. How God knows our potential much more than we do. How God has plans for us which far exceed our own plans. After yesterday, I felt once again that God has other things for me to do. Maybe great, maybe (and more probably) more modest. Yet, every plan is important to God. 

Bottom line - I am just VERY happy to be here today, and not in the hospital - or worse. God will call all of us home sometime, at his choosing. But until then, I need to do a better job in listening for the quiet voice. 

3 comments:

  1. Boy, does your story hit home.
    1. My wife Jane fell in Yuma, AZ. She was just getting used to bifocals and we were on a bleacher at a rodeo, when some bees came near us due to spilled soda. She attempted to move up the bleachers and bifocal vision caused her to fall through the bleachers until her arm caught, tearing her shoulder joint apart. Yuma is a backwater town, no shoulder surgeons, so she had to return to MN for treatment.
    As far as neuropathy, my diabetes, even though under control, has destroyed my feet and fingertips (so far). So I have real balance problems.
    In MN last summer, I fell 3 times, once walking out my front door and hooked my jacket on screen door handle, spinning me around and to the ground. Then, I was riding bicycle and tried to stop on uneven ground and my dead left foot gave way and I toppled over. Most serious fall was in basement, all alone and slipped on water from AC humidity line and fell, hitting my head on toilet rim (thank GOD the seat was down and gave a little. I laid there of 20 minutes, taking inventory of limbs and senses before I got up.
    So, Jane has an shoulder joint that now shocks the Radiologist when viewed, but has rehabbed to get it up over her head.
    I had railings installed on front steps. I traded my bike for a winter of snow shoveling. And we come to AZ, not to avoid cold or snow, but primarily to avoid falling. We have had two friends with debilitating head injuries from falling on steps and hitting back of head. And countless Facebook stories of folks with broken wrists, twisted backs and various other injuries.
    Lesson: Find a place you enjoy in the south and save yourself!
    You will be able to spend more quality time with family and friends over the next years if you stay whole.
    PS: When women fall, they break hips, which can be the end of their life quality.
    PSS: And your family and friends will come visit you to get away from the winter for a week or two.
    Thanks for the memories (all bad), Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try a combination of Vitamins B12-methylcobalamine (4000mg/da) and B1-benfotiamine (300mg 2x/day). It helped my feet greatly.

    Bird? God does miracles every day. You just have to notice.

    ReplyDelete