Friday, March 23, 2018

What is done is done.






"We are paying attention. We know who the reformers are, and who the swamp trolls are. And when November comes, we will know how to separate the wheat from the chaff." 



I know there are millions of patriots who are scratching their heads right now, wondering what just happened. I am one of them. I also know most of those millions of patriots are madder than a wet hornet. I am one of them. We feel let down, betrayed and somewhat lost. Our last great hope to get this swamp fixed just caved in, and signed a pork laden, bloated, most of it unnecessary, funding bill. That being said, please don't hang up when I say the following - what is done is done.

Why do I say that? I believe if it were not for Secretary Mattis, President Trump would have vetoed the bill. Am I blaming Mattis then? No. He did what he had to do. The Democrats, who for some reason always seem to come down on the wrong side of every issue, did not give two poops and a holler that the readiness level in our military is dangerously low. Mattis and the President knew what they needed to make up for years of readiness killing sequester - and the Democrats were not going to let them have it. They would filibuster the hell out of the bill until it died.

So the President was left with a no win decision. Veto the bill and risk having our military continue to decline, or sign this monster with more bells and whistles than a Christmas Tree. So this morning he signed it into law. 

There is an old saying in negotiations. Screw me once, shame of me. Screw me twice, shame on you. In other words, Schumer just got his Mulligan. There will be no more. From now on it is down and dirty. Trump put the Senate Majority Leader on notice that this type of bill would NEVER happen again. First he wants the Congress to give him line item veto. Then he wants the Senate rules changed so passage of this type of bill can be done with a simple majority instead of 60 votes.

The price to pay to get our fighting men and women a decent raise, to get more money allocated to training our troops, to maintain our aging equipment, to buy state of the art weaponry, was buried in a 2,200 page bill which was over a foot tall. It was a disgrace. Nobody read it. Just about anything could be buried in it, and now that is just tough toenails. Do you think Trump was being dramatic when he talked about the Washington Swamp? This morning you saw it up close and personal. It is as real as real gets.

Am I going to blame the President for this mess. Not a bit. Like I said, he was boxed in. Am I going to blame Congress? You bet your bippie - and I mean BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE! We are paying attention. We know who the reformers are, and who the swamp trolls are. And when November comes, we will know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. 




2 comments:

  1. I always considered myself as a Patriot, until I looked up the definition.
    One needs to accept and respect "authority", but I cannot do this.
    I will discontinue the less than respectful use of the number 45 to reference Mr. Trump's sequence of Presidents.
    I will now refer him in the future as "dic" (debaucher in charge). A more accurate description of this man with no moral authority.
    ps. I thought the Omnibus Bill just signed was a big win for the countries less than privileged. Lots of programs funded in return for a few bucks for the military to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Planned Parenthood, National Arts Fund, Tunnel from Jersey to NYC, saving fish habitat, the list never ends. No wall!
    “So I’ve watched the politicians,” Dic boasted when he was first running for president. “I’ve dealt with them all my klife. If you can’t make a good deal with a politician, then there’s something wrong with you. You’re certainly not very good.”
    Yah, sure as us Norwegians say!

    ReplyDelete