Thursday, March 29, 2018

The credo I want to live by...





"My two heroes in life were my Dad and Ronald Reagan. Both were simply great in dealing with other people. Even though many on the other side of the aisle disagreed with President Reagan's policies, most everyone liked him."



The Lenten Season is always a good season for reflection. I know it is for me. Where have I been, where am I going, what have I done, and what is left for me to do. All good questions for self-reflection. I think these can all be summed up by one question - am I on the right track?

In these days of sharp and divisive disagreements, it is easy to paint others with a broad brush. Also, it is easy for others to paint us with a broad brush. Sometimes when you hear what others thing of us, it hurts more than helps. But out of that hurt often times comes growth. 

Many folks I have known in the past would gloss over feedback from others by saying, "Oh, I don't give a rip what they think of me." True confessions - I do. Even though I may have disagreements with others (mostly political in nature), I want to be a fair arbiter. I really do try not to offend, and if I do offend, I take that as a personal failure on my part. 

Now that the endorsement conventions are over, and the district and state conventions are coming up, political sparing will be in full season. One of my good friends always counsels to "disagree, agreeably". Amen to that. Saying hurtful things to people who are on the other side of the political spectrum does nothing to win the day, does nothing to win the argument. All it does is cause deeper bitterness and deeper divisions.

The candidate I am supporting for Governor has only one criticism which I have heard from more than one person - he is too nice. How many of us would give their eye teeth to have that same criticism? I know I would. And by the way, being nice does mean you are meek or weak. Not a bit. You can still be stronger than steel with your resolve and nice at the same time. 

I have said this before. My two heroes in life were my Dad and Ronald Reagan. Both were simply great in dealing with other people. Even though many on the other side of the aisle disagreed with President Reagan's policies, most liked him. And President Reagan, as well as my Dad, liked people - a lot.

The Easter gift which was given to us was life everlasting. All we need do is believe in the redemptive power of the risen Jesus, love God, and love others. Sometimes the loving others means loving, not necessarily having to like.

This my credo is simply this. Some say my weakness, others say it is my strength strength. I really do like most everyone I meet. It has not always been that way with me. Often times, it was just the opposite. But God has opened my eyes to the goodness in people, and taught me to accept and ignore their faults.

I know, I know. Many right now are thinking I have a long way to go to live by that credo. And they are right - I do. I am just a work in progress. What I can do is this - each day, every day, try to do better than the last day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment