Saturday, May 19, 2018

One more time, whose fault is it?






"Bottom line - whose fault is it? Nobody and everybody. We do all of us, have skin in this game. But the biggest culprits? Our society and what it has become. Stay tuned." 




I was not going to address this today. With the session coming to a close, there is plenty of grist for the mill. But I had to. Some of it is the subject of chats I have recently had with family and fiends. Some by deep introspection. What is it? School shootings. The new cancer on our landscape. Not only how to stop it, but how to cure it. And to cure it, we need to dive deep in discovery, to learn how it all started.

First off, we have enough laws. Way more than enough. In every school shooting many existing laws were broken. So rather than just scratch the surface, lets try and dive a bit deeper this time around:

  • Schools - Laugh if you want, but we have secularized our schools to such a degree,  God is not only unwelcome, His Holy name is all but unmentioned. 
  • Students - Many of these school shooters were bullied. Everyone has a breaking point. I was bullied when I was in grade school. My breaking point came, and then I beat up the bully. That stopped it. Today, the breaking point might end up doing something far more lethal.
  • Music - Ever listen to some of the lyrics in the music lately? Especially some of the hip hop, rap, or dark metal? Young brains are soaking all this trash in, and that is not healthy. 
  • Hollywood - The Harvey Weinstein's of tinsel town have flooded the market with crap - and I mean crap. Senseless violence, unloving sex, and crude language. Again - young brains soak this up.
  • Video Games -  We have come a long way baby since Pong, Pac-Man, and Asteroids. Now we are into massacres and mayhem, all live and in color. Is it glorified? "Oh, hell ya!", and that is a huge problem.
  • Mental Health - For reasons we do not yet understand, un-diagnosed mental health issues in our youth is running rampant. These kids are nothing more than ticking time bombs.
  • Parents - They are complacent in all listed above including those who own fire arms who do not keep them fully secured. 

Bottom line - whose fault is it? Nobody and everybody. We do all of us have skin in this game. But the biggest culprits? Our society and what it has become. Stay tuned. More of this to come in the upcoming weeks. Since the local newspaper once again cried out we have to "do something", let's go do something. Only this time, let's focus on the right causes. 
  

2 comments:

  1. I would add cell phones and social media to the list, otherwise you are right on the money.
    I believe the NSA has the tools to monitor all social media for certain words, phrases, etc. We just need to turn them loose on the youth and qualify what online behavior brings them to the attention of authorities. We can spot these kids, if we want to stop this horrific blight on American society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook post from Chief of Houston Police Art Acevedo

    To all my Facebook friends. Today I spent the day dealing with another mass shooting of children and a responding police officer who is clinging to life. I’m not ashamed to admit I’ve shed tears of sadness, pain and anger.

    I know some have strong feelings about gun rights but I want you to know I’ve hit rock bottom and I am not interested in your views as it pertains to this issue. Please do not post anything about guns aren’t the problem and there’s little we can do. My feelings won’t be hurt if you de-friend me and I hope yours won’t be if you decide to post about your views and I de-friend you.

    I have never accepted the status-quo in anything I do and I’ve never accepted defeat. And I won’t do it now. I will continue to speak up and will stand up for what my heart and my God commands me to do, and I assure you he hasn’t instructed me to believe that gun-rights are bestowed by him.

    The hatred being spewed in our country and the new norms we, so-called people of faith are accepting, is as much to blame for so much of the violence in our once pragmatic Nation.

    This isn’t a time for prayers, and study and Inaction, it’s a time for prayers, action and the asking of God’s forgiveness for our inaction (especially the elected officials that ran to the cameras today, acted in a solemn manner, called for prayers, and will once again do absolutely nothing).

    I close by saying, I wish those that move on from this page the best. May God Bless you and keep you.

    ReplyDelete