Thursday, November 7, 2019

From pariah to hero - a 50 year journey






"From pariahs to heroes. In fifty short years. It is my hope that never again - and I mean never - will our veterans come home to anything but appreciation. That is it. Just a 'thank you' from time to time is fine."



Most service people, and veterans today are uncomfortable being called "heroes". Why? Serving is just something we do, or did. It did not matter if you were a combat veteran, a support person, a two year reservist, or a career person. We were just citizens serving. That is all. However, there was a time when serving was looked upon as a detriment - a stain on your character. And that time was during Viet Nam, and immediately thereafter.

Over the past few years, I have been asked more than once if I feel "guilty" about taking a veteran's discount, or parking in a veteran only parking spot. Truthfully, I have felt a bit guilty in the past, as I felt it was undeserved for me. Maybe combat veterans, but not an old cryptologist like myself. But then I thought back almost 50 years ago. To my great humiliation. 

Those of us who served in country, or at other duty stations in the WestPac, all had to come home the same way - Travis Air Force Base in northern California. Most flew home in dress uniforms, and the transit back across the Pacific was anything but comfortable. But eventually we landed in Travis, and transport was waiting to take us to the SFO international airport. Full of jet lag, sweating in my dress blues, and lugging my over stuffed sea bag, I borded a bus, and headed to SFO and the plane ride home.

It was the middle of the night when we got off the bus at the airport. My flight was at zero dark thirty in the morning. I checked my bag, got my seat assignment, and went on the search for something to eat (I was starving after that long flight). As I spied some vending machines, I headed over to them. I saw a group of three youngish type people headed my way. As I passed them, the young lady called me a "f**king service pig", and they kept on walking. I was shocked. Lock jawed. First, I was unaccustomed to hearing that type of coarse language come out of a young ladies mouth. Seems things had changed in the country while I was gone. Second I thought, what did I do? Other than just spending the past 18 months living in a third world country, away from family and friends, serving my country?

I have talked to many vets who had similar experiences while getting back stateside during that time frame. It was shameful how we treated our men and women who served back then. As the saying goes, we can't go back and change the past, but we can shape the future. When I see how our Iraq and Afghanistan veterans are treated today, it brings a broad smile to my face. This is the ying to the yang. No matter how shoddy Viet Nam vets and Viet Nam era vets were treated back in the day, is how well today's vets are treated.

One more quick story before I sign off. I have a hat which says, "Viet Nam Era Veteran". It is for those who served during that time frame, but were never in country. One day while wearing that hat, a slightly younger gentlemen came up to shake my hand. "Welcome home brother!" I explained I was not in Viet Nam - only in the WestPac during that time frame. He said, "I know. You served overseas during that difficult time, and then came home. What I am telling you, maybe very late, is welcome home."

From pariahs to heroes. In fifty short years. It is my hope that never again - and I mean never - will our veterans come home to anything but appreciation. That is it. Just a "thank you" from time to time is fine. Most veterans respond the same way when thanked for their service. "I would do it again, all over again." Amen brother - and so would I.  

1 comment: