Saturday, February 19, 2022

Nothing good can come out of this...






"Nothing good will come out of this. Despots, like Putin, are more like animals than men. They bring us back to our most carnal desires of bloodlust. People will die, just so an empire could be rebuilt. A country will die, just so it can be absorbed into a juggernaut."


Oh my. Just when it looked like mankind can start acting like the humans in Star Trek (acting like one species), instead we are acting like warring factions from the planet Klingon. To satisfy one man's blood lust, his desire to go back in time and to recreate an empire, the world once again, is on the precipice of war. And this particular war, could be the fuse which ignites an entire region. Or an entire world.

Even though some jellybean called me a "war monger" last week, when I suggested that Biden should go full bore Donald Trump, and open up everything we have for oil explorations and production, I am anything but a war monger. I desire peace. I abhor bloodshed and war. War is antithetical to my faith. And I know what is happening right now in the Ukraine, can lead to nothing good. In fact, with now 190,000 Russian combat soldiers and support units on site, the situation over there has gone beyond serious.

One military expert summed the current situation up in very succinct terms. "The Russians have brought in their blood units. They would only do that if they mean to attack". In fact, it is not just the blood units. It is every type of conventional combat unit needed for invasion. Troops for taking ground, troops for keeping ground. Supply units. Ammo trucks. Tanks. Armored vehicles. Aircraft. 

What the Russians have outside of Ukraine right now, reminds me of Desert Shield right before Desert Storm. We had everything we would need to throw Hussein out of Kuwait (if Saddam did not leave voluntarily). We knew it, and the Iraqis knew it. Invasion was all but a certainty.

If the Russians do invade this coming week, here is what the military experts are expecting. The battle will start out with cyber attacks to the infrastructure in many of the large cities, especially in Kyiv. Air defenses in the Ukraine will then be taken out by Russian air and missiles. Tanks will come over the border in great number. The battle will now be joined by an over matched and out gunned Ukrainian Army. NATO and the United States will immediately impose vast and painful sanctions on Russia.

Russia will know these sanctions are coming, and has prepared for them. Maybe there is an agreement with Xi of China to backstop any financial pain these sanctions might cause. Russia will retaliate with a blistering cyber attack on NATO countries as well as the US. In fact, we are so certain of this cyber attack on us, we have issued a first ever "Shields Up" alert.

Now is when the conjecture will take over. One of our military experts said if Russia hit our infrastructure will a cyber attack which would hit our grid, water, gas, or financial - we would retaliate with our own cyber attack against Russia, which would be "eye watering" harsh. Then what? Would Russia call it quits, or would Putin unleash some of his newer tactical weapons which could or would take out a military base, aircraft carrier, or even a city? Once this fuse is lit, there is no telling when or where it will end.

Nothing good will come out of this. Despots, like Putin, are more like animals than men. They bring us back to our most carnal desires of bloodlust. People will die, just so an empire could be rebuilt. A country will die, just so it can be absorbed into a juggernaut. 

If Putin attacks, his place in history will be solidified. It will be right next to Genghis Kahn, Mao, Pol Pot, Papa Doc, Castro, Stalin and so forth. These men, the butchers of millions, have marred our history. They remind me of part of a poem I wrote while overseas:


Here I stand a man among men,

I know no evil, I practice no sin.

I burn, destroy, kill and maim,

It is funny, I don't even know my name.

I sully the path where peace had trod,

Some call me man, but I call me a god. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment