Friday, November 17, 2017

A moral or amoral man (men)?





"Here is the bottom line. Amoral men cannot be the moral arbiters to the nation. I am sorry to say this, but that includes President Trump. We need men who can keep their minds focused and their hands to themselves." 



One would think in a country this size, we would not have trouble finding moral men to lead us in our government. To entertain us. To be our managers in the workplace. I swear, the list of men who have let us down is growing by leaps and bounds. Why? And why is it the men who we thought would be moral (that should be a "Duh") has eclipsed into a list of amoral scoundrels.

Now if the truth be known, I have put my hands on other women in my married life. If you call giving someone a hug putting my hands on them. Once in a great while, if I know someone very, very well, I might even give them a peck on the cheek. But that is a far cry from Al Franken trying to stick his tongue halfway down the throat of some women he was on a USO tour with. I wonder what Franni (Al's wife) thought of that? 

I am sorry. I don't mean to be disrespectful of the departed. But this disrespect of women has been going on since Mary Jo Kopechne. A beautiful young woman in her prime of life somehow drowns while with Teddy Kennedy. And what was Teddy's consequences? Nada. And his brother Jack messing around with Marilyn Monroe - while President. Did I mention that both Jack and Teddy were married when they were fooling around? Or flash forward to the 1980's and 1990's when Bill Clinton had more women that carters has pills. Did I mention Slick Willie was married at the time? And Carlos Danger. The list goes on and on.

When I was just starting in business, the office I worked in was remote from the main factory. A couple times a week, a very attractive executive secretary would walk some papers over to our office. She was so good looking that all male eyes immediately gazed upon her when she walked in the door. Except for one man who had been a Pentecostal missionary prior to working for the company I was at.

One day I asked him why he never looked at that beautiful woman when she came into our office. "I don't want to stumble" he said. "Why open myself up for temptation by having impure thoughts about her?" Very similar to the way Mike Pence thinks. I would hazard a guess than neither the man who sat next to me nor Mike Pence ever grabbed some woman and tried to either grope her or stick a tongue down her throat. 

Here is the bottom line. Amoral men cannot be the moral arbiters to the nation. I am sorry to say this, but that includes President Trump. We need men who can keep their minds focused and their hands to themselves. 

The reckoning will continue on. The mighty will fall. Maybe even a former President. Once it is over, I hope we all have learned a lesson. The temptation of philandering mischief outside of marriage will always be there. It has been there since time began. But moral men can rise above that temptation. And moral men are the ones who can set the moral compass for the nation.

10 comments:

  1. I like it better the old way, where these goofs could chase all the skirt they wanted, and the skirts had every right to slap them silly, or at least call them silly. Do we really need 1000s of self-righteous busybody "journalists" to tell us whose behavior we should be offended by, and what we ought to do with that outrage? Especially when there is little to no real proof of any crime, but only of "moral flaws"? First stones, anybody?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true Jerry. In the old days, an inappropriate or unwanted move by a man was met with a slap and/or angry retort. However - what was even worse was this. Your reputation. Word would spread and all the women in the office or where ever would think the man was a heel.

      Delete
  2. 45 is displaying selective outrage over allegations of sexual harassment against prominent men in politics, as his own tortured past lingers over his response.

    45 moved quickly Thursday to condemn accusations against Minnesota Democratic Sen. Al Franken as "really bad," but he has remained conspicuously silent on the more serious claims leveled against Roy Moore, the Republican in Alabama's special Senate race who faces allegations he sexually assaulted teenage girls decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, he hasn't been silent on Moore. I would accept "circumspect," as opposed to "calls for mob justice" that seems to be the current media narrative.

    Note: "allegations," "sexually assaulted," "teenage GIRLS," "decades ago." It is quite over-excited language, based on what we know for sure. For example, a kiss is hardly "sexual assault." Considering the inconvenient timing of the charges against Moore, I cannot help but believe this is simply crass political tricks, irrespective of any truth to the allegations, yet to be determined. And I believe the charges against Franken are equally motivated by politics and ungrounded in serious "crimes," simply to point out Democrat hypocrisy in attacking Moore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I did pretty well at pointing out that both are, at the moment, tempests in a teapot. Ever think that maybe we all suffer from too MUCH "news"? I mean, you hear a story about, say, Al Franken, repeated over and over, every 10 minutes or so, and aren't you inclined to think that his bad taste in humor is actually a Big Deal Sexual Assault? If you look at the picture, it seems clear the only thing you can conclude is that he has a bad taste in humor (20 years ago), but most of us knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes you did. As a 24/7 news channel surfer, it does lead to exaggerated brain cell death.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't watch TV news, and STILL I see too much about this stuff. The days of reading the morning paper and having that suffice seem to be gone. Maybe you could clarify which hare I am splitting?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just sense an "Ozzie and Harriet" mentality from the 50's when reading your comments. Forgive me if I am mis-interpreting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting reading between the lines, and maybe not wrong. Not everything "progressive" is progress, IMHO. I think some of it certainly is the 24/7 news cycle AND rampant social media that makes "news" a race to get a story, any story, and blow it out of proportion because we have 24/7 to fill. I really wish our media would withhold judgment until they have most of the facts to report. Yet how many stories have you seen about "If Al Franken is forced to resign, Gov. Dayton will appoint so-and-so, and that will tip the balance of power in the Senate and doom Republicans in the 2018 (or even 2020) elections"? Pure speculation! Let's go back to "a picture which is alleged to show Al Franken groping a woman on a USO tour back in (1979?) was released today, and the woman has reported..." Those are the known facts. Anything else is unnecessary and adds to our personal store of misinformation-- more heat than light.

    ReplyDelete