Wednesday, August 28, 2019

A day in the life at the fair





"A day in the life at the fair. Our state fair is the best state fair - don't miss it, don't even be late. Yes, our state fair IS the best state fair. Sorry Texas - yours is bigger and longer, but ours is better."


Yesterday at the fair, was military appreciation day. For vets, it is a fun and very special time to be at the fair. For my family who went with me, it was special for them also. This was not my first rodeo - we often times go on opening day and/or military day. The weather started out good, the traffic light (for a fair day) and off we went.

The day started out nicely. A close by parking spot (by the new north end entrance), and when I went up to buy our tickets, I got a nice surprise. I asked for two military rates and a normal adult rate for my daughter (grandson got in free). The man looked up and said, "Here - take all three at military rate. Enjoy the fair." That started the day off just right.

Even though military appreciation day, this trip was mostly for the boy. On our way to the butterfly house (which he really wanted to see), I stopped by the MN GOP booth. While there, I chatted with some old friends. One thing was different this year however - there was a cop on duty, sitting by the front door. Why? DFL children who don't know how to act like adults while attending to the fair. So the management of MN GOP had to spring for the money to rent a cop, just to stay safe. That was a blot on the day.

While waiting outside the butterfly house for the rest of the family, I bumped into some more friends. We had a nice visit, and for a change, we went to the fair and bumped into people we knew. Usually, we don't. It is just a sea of faces coming towards you on Underwood street.

The military area was once again done up right. Lots of booths with lots of information. We stopped by and talked with the Believet folks. They had a nice pooch with them (in training), and that was a hit with my grandson. As we were getting ready to leave the area, I stopped by the USAA booth just to chat. I told the young man I had been with USAA for years, and have always been very happy with them. Now, that pleasure has been handed down, as both my daughters are with USAA. When asked how long I had been a client of USAA, I told him 40 years (actually, 41).

As we were walking away, headed towards the kiddie rides, the young man from USAA came running up behind us. "Sir, sir - I just wanted to shake your hand and thank you for all the years you have been with USAA." I reach out to shake his hand, and there was something cold in his palm. It was a 40 year anniversary challenge coin from USAA. As good as my day had been going, that took the cake.

The last stop was for the boy to go into the Angry Bird Universe exhibit. I had enough, so I took the stroller over to the beer garden and had a Lift Bridge lager. The sky started to cloud a bit, so I checked radar on my phone. I sent a text to my daughter - time to go, storms are moving in. We left the fair, got out to the car, and were barely on the way home when the first drops fell. The rest is history. Stormy afternoon (again).

A day in the life at the fair. Our state fair is the best state fair - don't miss it, don't even be late. Yes, our state fair IS the best state fair. Sorry Texas - yours is bigger and longer, but ours is better.



No comments:

Post a Comment