Monday, August 31, 2015

Playing fair at our Fair






"The Taxpayers League is a great organization for spreading the truth. No politics is needed - the truth speaks for itself..."



I am now done with the Minnesota State Fair for this year. We went opening day, Saturday (day of the of the infamous BLM protest), and today. Truthfully - each day was different from the others, yet wonderful. The people I met who came to the Taxpayer League booth were mostly very nice and interesting. Oh, there were one or two who tried to pick a political fight, but for the most part people who stopped by were just hungry for information.

It took me a while, but I developed "my swing". That is, a good approach in how to meet people and then spread some tax information. I would look for folks about my age and then greet them. I would then ask them if they knew anyone who was on Social Security. Most would look me in the eye and chuckle - and then say, "I am". That was my opening. 

I asked if they knew that Social Security in Minnesota was taxed. Most knew it and were not happy about it. I then gave them one of our Taxpayer League hand outs and encouraged them to send an e-mail to their House Representative before the next session. This turned out to be a good approach was it was about 90% successful with the people I talked with.

Two of the couples I approached did not play fair however. When I gave them my line about Social Security being taxed in Minnesota, both of these couples replied by saying, "Yep - and that is why we moved." One couple moved to Florida and the other moved to Texas. Why? Most because this state is unfriendly to seniors. It is tax unfriendly. The unfair tax on Social Security and veterans retirement.

I talked to one more couple who I found out was not from Minnesota. They were visiting from Tennessee. They were from Minnesota, but moved to Tennessee after retirement as Tennessee was more tax friendly to seniors. They miss Minnesota for many reasons, including family. They would love to move back here, but are worried about the taxes. Like, could they afford to live here?

That is when it hit me. What the Taxpayer League is doing at the fair is very important. Really, really important. This message needs to be spread loud and clear, near and far. We are losing our seniors to other states. And the seniors who stay are being unfairly taxed. This needs to stop. Now.

When the next legislative session begins, please make sure your State Representative and your State Senator are fully up to speed on this issue. Not just up to speed, but are standing ready to do something. This is not a partisan issue - it should be a no-brainer. My Representative and my Senator both support the repeal of this unfair tax on seniors. Do yours? Lets make this happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment