Monday, August 24, 2015

The lure of sex in America






"Nothing can take down the rich and powerful in America like a good old fashion sexual issue..."




Back in my traveling days on one of my trips to Amsterdam, after work I found myself sitting at a watering hole in a mostly empty bar. The bartender and I were chatting about small stuff. I told him how much I liked his country, his city, and the friendly people who lived there. But I did have a question - why is sex looked upon so much differently in the Netherlands than it is in America? Not just a little different, but a whole lot different.

He replied by saying the Dutch look at sex much different than Americans do. The Dutch look at sex not as "forbidden fruit", but just a fact of life. And sex is everywhere in Amsterdam. There are girly magazines sitting on open racks right out in front of shops. They are there for everyone to look at, no matter the age. Prostitution is legal. There is a thriving "red light" district in a very nice part of town. "And yet", the bartender told me, "we Dutch have a very low incident of VD, AIDS or rape. Sex is simply a part of our lives."

I thought about that conversation this morning as I was reading about the silliness of the nationwide topless protests. Yes, there was even one yesterday in our City of Lakes (brrrr). The organizers said it was for "equal rights!" If men can go topless, so can women! Liberals thought this might be a good cause celeb. Salacious minded males thought it might be a good excuse to see some skin. People visiting from Europe might have thought this was much to do about nothing.

Over the years I have seen sex topple many people in leadership roles, ranging from in the community to yes, even people (men and women) in church leadership roles. And it is never pretty. Always pain and shame are byproducts. They seem to go hand in hand with "outed" sexual dalliances. And many people are never the same again once it is over.

Norwood Teague, Jared Fogle (the Subway guy) are two of the most recent people to fall victim to overactive or inappropriate libidos. And both are paying a hefty price for it. Teague will probably never be an AD again. Probably never make a half million a year again.

Fogle had a proclivity for younger teenage girls. He lost his $1,000,000/year gig with Subway, PLUS he is going away to do some hard time. Once released, he will be branded a sex offender the rest of his life.

One final note. On one of my many trips to Washington after finishing work, I went up to the top floor of the motel I was staying to swim some laps. Even though it was a hot summer day, the lifeguard and I were the only ones there. A short time later, a man from France (who I believe was there on vacation) came up to use the pool with his daughter who looked to be about 12. The next thing I know they are both in the pool, sans tops for their suits. The French gentleman probably did not realize in America that swimming topless is a "no-no" for girls once they start to develop. I have never seen a lifeguard move so fast. He got the girl out of the pool a threw a towel around her. The girl and her father left the pool area looking dazed and confused. 

Dazed and confused. That is exactly how Americans have become with sex. We have elevated it to be the most forbidden of fruit. We have made it so tempting, so tasty, it can cause instant ruin for families, for careers, for organizations.

There is however, one exception. If you are the President of the United States from a state like Arkansas, you may have carte blanche for sex of any type. Your extra-martial sexual adventures will then become things of legend rather than shame. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment