Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The New Frontier of TV








"So where are with this brave new world of TV? Truthfully - at the next door of technology. Just waiting to be opened and enjoyed!"



I will be the first to admit, I love watching good TV. Let me repeat part of what I just said - "GOOD TV". That is something many of my age grew up on, and is sorely missing today. To be fair, it is not just TV, it is movies also. We are suffering through a vapid, insipid wasteland of reruns, make-overs, do nothings - or whatever.

But fear not good folks - better times are coming. I mean a lot better. We are heading full steam into the age of Internet TV. And why is that good for us? First off, how many of us have a "package" through our cable or satellite provider and get a bunch of crap we never watch? Many, I would bet. However, with internet TV, we get only the channel(s) we want, brought to us on our laptop, tablet, smart phone or whatever. Anytime, anywhere (mostly), and any day. And much cheaper.

We have burned through the age of VCR's, DVDs, and now cable and satellite. We are now entering the age of "true demand". For example, I  remember when employed at IBM. I was going through training on this new thing called "on-demand". It was mostly for customer convenience, by downloading needed software instantaneously. Oh yes, as an a plus - there were some entertainment aspects of "on-demand" also. Well, that entertainment feature has finally arrived.

Not too many of us (dare I say none of us), watch all 300 - 400 channels. Those are all the channels which are in our cable or satellite packages. I watch maybe 6 - 12 at most. The rest I never watch. With internet TV, you can subscribe to whatever channel you like. And most have an "on-demand" feature.

For example, should I decide to watch Glenn Beck at midnight, and if I subscribe to his service - no problem. On my computer right now, I can see many shows from my cable account. Anytime, anywhere.

So if I miss the Vikings this weekend, I can watch the game anytime. If I want to watch the hated Packers, I can watch them also. With internet TV, I can watch basically anything, anywhere, anytime, on any device. This is how IBM envisioned on demand many years ago. That is how on demand is developing it right now.

So enjoy it folks. This is the new frontier. The new beginning. This the cusp of something big - very, very big. Our world will never be the same again. Smart TV, smart phones, and lap tops with incredible reach - it is here now. This is change not to fear, but to embrace. It is here and now. And the good news (and most always there is good news), it will only get better better. And stay tuned for better - it is coming soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment