Saturday, April 15, 2023

"I've got a secret!"





"I am anxious to learn what happened in our security controls which would allow a 21 year old gamer to gain access to material so sensitive, in my time as a LCDR with a high level clearance, I would have never been 'read in' to have access to it."


Not to show my age, but when I was a lad, there was a family show my folks and I would watch every week. It was called "I've got a secret". It was on from the early 50's to 1967. That was quite a run for back then. So why bring this up? When watching this show as a boy, never did I think that I would be the one keeping secrets shortly after getting out of high school. But I was. And I did.

When I was 20, I was granted a high level clearance. One of the highest the government had. Even at that tender age, the significance of that did no escape me. I was entrusted with some of the highest secrets the Navy, and the country, had. I was proud of the fact my life's path had led me to this honor. Truthfully, I think my folks were as much shocked as they were proud!

Why bring up this ancient history? Because I still know a thing or two about guarding classified material. Earlier this year, I was shocked at the revelation that not only President Trump had classified information at his Mar-a-lago residence, but also Joe Biden had it stashed all over the place. Going back to when he was a senator (which would be a huge no-no). And then finding out the squeaky clean Mike Pence had some classified info at his residence. Regardless of who had highly classified information outside of a certified SCIF, it blew my mind. It violated everything I was trained to do in safeguarding classified information.

This young 21 year Airman, who is accused of taking and then revealing numerous documents of the highest classification, really was a jaw dropper for me. First off, when I was 21 and had a high level clearance, I had access to very little, if any, documents which I had the clearance to view. Why? Need to know. And if I had the need to know, protocols were in place to protect those documents. Even if someone with a clearance wanted to take a classified document, it would have been next to impossible. 

My last active duty, as a LCDR with a high level clearance, involved being at NSA doing a "lessons learned" from intel gathered during Desert Storm. My desk was out in the open, visible to many. Every time I needed to check out a classified document to use as reference, there were iron clad controls. How could I get access to the documents I needed? First off, I had the need to know. Next, NSA had iron clad security procedures. Finally, I had my own integrity. I finished the job, turned it in, and then checked out and left for home. Shortly thereafter, I was debriefed at the reserve center, surrendered by clearance, and then retired. My 21 year Navy career was then complete.

I am anxious to learn what happened in our security controls which would allow a 21 year old gamer to gain access to material so sensitive, in my time as a LCDR with a high level clearance, I would have never been "read in" to have access to it. But this E-3 did. And he might have upset the apple cart with our friends and foes alike. 

For him to disclose that NATO special forces (including ours), were on the ground in Ukraine, possibly engaging Russian troops, was a show stopper. That one piece of information, is so sensitive, it could have (or still might) trigger a much broader war. Plus - the fact that we disclosed what allies were doing, might have done immeasurable damage to their trust in us. All because of some gaming site? This young man has no clue how many years he will be imprisoned for this thoughtless act. He will be a pariah in this country for the rest of his natural life.

"I've got a secret". Really? If so, then keep it. Secrets are shared due to trust and integrity. Obviously, this young man had neither.  



No comments:

Post a Comment