Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Minnesota's Pagans




"Now please don't get me wrong. I love our planet. This very unique planet (study it sometimes, to find out just how unique it is), was created for us. That being said, I love the Creator of this planet, more than the planet itself."


I remember years ago, when I was on the Board of Management for a large YMCA camp located close to the city, one young lady who worked there told me something interesting. She was a pagan. She told me she believed in Gaia, and not God. In other words, she believed in the creation, and not the Creator. Interesting. I had never met a pagan before.

For those who have never met a true pagan, here is some good news. Most large cities are full of them. Including Minneapolis. Earth Day is a good example. Many urban people have almost a Druidry fascination with the Earth we live on. Not to use it as a gift from God - rather to worship all facets of nature. Earth Day is almost a holy day to them.

Now please don't get me wrong. I love our planet. This very unique planet (study it sometimes, to find out just how unique it is), was created for us. That being said, I love the Creator of this planet, more than the planet itself. I love nature, flora and fauna. I love the stars, and everything we can see in the heavens. 

Speaking of the heavens, years ago my wife and I saw an evangelist and author named Louie Giglio. He did mention once in a while he would talk with an atheist who used the stars as proof that God does not exist. All those wonderful stars and planets were created by happenstance. And the fact the universe goes on just about forever, was their closing argument.

To that argument, Louie had a simple response. God is proud His creation. "You want to see some more?", God might ask, "then build a bigger telescope. I will show you more of my creation."

My neighbor who lived across the ally from us when I was growing up, was a Astronomy Prof at the U of M. He loved the stars. He built a huge telescope in his back yard. He allowed me to view the planets many times through his telescope. But he was a hard core atheist. This was all there is. When you die, you just go into the Earth, to become worm food. No God. No Heaven, Nothing. Sad.

Many eschatologists think we might be in the end times. That Jesus might be coming back sooner rather than later. What is the message? Time might be running out. If you do not have a relationship with God, now is the time to change that. Pagans will not do well when the Day of the Lord comes. Just saying...

 

 

  

1 comment:

  1. My argument with the non-believers always comes down to this: If you do not believe in heaven and hell, it is very important that you live as if you did-- YOLO. And a Christian faith helps with loving the Earth, too. God calls us to be "good stewards" but "have no other gods before Me." And BTW, climate change is a FALSE god, based as it is on a hoax.

    ReplyDelete