Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Code of Conduct


 
 
 

 
"I would just like to kill him - kill him with kindness..."



I have a confession to make. I hate the word hate. Oh, I still use it once in a while when it has to do with the weather, the Vikings performance (or lack there of), but NEVER against another person. I get a bad feeling in the pit of my gut with I hear that word used against a person in politics or even our President. We can "hate" their policies, or the direction they are taking the country, but not the person.

A few years ago, my wife and I were at a gas station trying to beat another one of the all too frequent price hikes. The place was packed, and we were waiting for one of the pumps to open up. As our pump cleared, a huge truck pulled right in front of us and took our spot. I sat for a minute and then went to another pump to again wait my turn. My wife turned to me and told me she could not believe I let that incident slide. Neither could I.

Not too many years before that incident, something like that would have resulted in a major “smack down”. I would have gone over to that truck and really gotten in that man’s face. I would have taught him a lesson, and felt good about doing so. However, I can’t do that anymore. I have been acquiring a new code of conduct - one which has given to all of us by the Most High. This code of conduct tells me that I not only need to “talk the talk”, but also “walk the walk”.

I have told this story before. One of the commands I was stationed at had a full length mirror by the main entrance. The purpose of the mirror was to make sure you were “squared away” prior to departing. Over the mirror was a plaque that read “You are not in the Navy, you are the Navy”. When you were wearing the uniform of the United States Navy, both you and your conduct were noticed by others.

The same can be said once we become followers of Christ. We and our conduct are always being observed. If we leave our worship center and fail to “walk the walk”, the world notices. We will be seen as no different than the world. However, when our words and deeds demonstrate to others that we are the church of Jesus Christ, we truly become the salt and the light.

One of my good friends has told me many times the biggest problem with our world is not too much hate, it is too little love. As light conquers darkness, love conquers hate. I am not to where I want to be yet, but day by day, step by step, I am working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment