Friday, October 25, 2013

Men - never stop being the hero...

 
 
 


"Being a hero does not mean you have to leap tall buildings..."




One of the joys I have had in being a son, a husband and a father is to on occasion, being a hero. Oh, being a hero has not been that tough - it does not involve super human feats. It is just doing the right things for the right reasons for the people in my life who mean the most. However, I do have a confession to make. As much as I have tried - as much as I have tried to open my heart, I cannot understand domestic violence.

I don't think I am alone on this island. Most men that I have known would find domestic violence antithetical to the way their DNA is constructed. I have a wonderful wife and two beautiful daughters. I would stick my arm in battery acid before I would raise my fist to harm any of them at any time. Period.

I know my feelings on this matter come out of ignorance of the underlying issue of abuse. I also know there are many kinds of abuse ranging from physical to emotional. I understand all of that. What I DO NOT understand is why a man would trade his status in the family from hero to villain.

I have counseled young men in the past. About being a hero. How to protect,  praise and edify the women in your life. To me, the single best feeling I can have is when my family looks upon me as a hero. Being a hero does not mean you always have to do super human heroic things. Being a hero often means just being there for the ones you love. Support. Love. Honor.

Being a hero does not have to stop at your front door. You can be a hero at work, in the neighborhood, at church, or where ever. When I was a young lad attending YMCA camp, the meaning of the YMCA triangle was explained in two ways. First, it represented body, mind and spirit. It also represented how your life should be prioritized - God first, others second, self third. I would submit that men who constantly put their life in that priority are often looked upon by others as a hero.

I will continue to open my heart to the understanding of domestic abuse. This is something I need to do to continue to grow in my faith. However, I will say this to any man who even has had the smallest inclination to harm a loved one - seek help immediately. Pray. Talk to a good friend.

Men - stay the hero - don't trade that moniker in for another which you will not be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment