Saturday, October 5, 2013

Today's Youth in Government

 
 


"These young people are our future - our 'seed corn'..."



This past week I saw an interesting contrast in our youth of today. I am going to talk specifically about their awareness of current events, and how if affects them. First off, just like he did last year, Glenn Beck has a Friday show in the fall called More On Trivia. He will call at random people working (quite often youth) at convenience stores located in the two cities where there is going to be an NFL matchup. The questions are very simple - the answers are often jaw dropping.

Last week he had a young lady on the phone in one of the cities. The first question was quite simple - name the three branches of government. Her answer - Republicans, Democrats and Independents. It would have been funny if it had not been so sad. There were other similar examples, but I think you get the picture.

By contrast, last night Sean Hannity had about twenty or so college kids or recent college graduates on his show. They were evenly split between registered Republicans and Democrats. Even though the answers given to each questions asked had the typical flavor of which party each youth identified with, they were all thoughtful and informed. On some of the questions, the Democrat students gave Sean a run for his money. It was a great show - one of the best Hannity shows I have watched. 

The YMCA has a program called Youth in Government (YIG). By far and away, it is one of the most successful programs the YMCA runs. For many years, my oldest daughter has participated in it as a leader. She has never lost her passion for it. I was involved in the program which existed prior to YIG when I was in high school. It was so impactful, I can still remember the experience like it was yesterday.

Quite simply, YIG is this - students from schools serviced by different YMCAs can spend a weekend at the state capital learning about how government really works. Students can learn, talk amongst themselves, and even debate. It is a wonderful experience, and students have the opportunity to leave the weekend much more informed than when they started.

I have often said I don't want to live in a politically homogenous society. I think diversity of opinions is a good thing. I enjoy a good political discussion with someone who is not of my ilk. It gives me a chance to learn and grow - it gives me added perspective. Our society is richer because of the universe of ideas that exists in our culture.

I have some very good friends, a few going back to high school days, that have much different political ideas than I have. That is fine with me. They are still my friends, and I enjoy talking to them and listening to their views. One of my friends in particular, who I have known more years than I care to admit, is an ardent liberal. Yet, he and I can talk and agree when the other has a good point. I would not trade his friendship nor his wisdom for the world.

When I hear some of today's youth talk who are "checked out", it is very depressing for me. I value each one of these kids. They are our future - our "seed corn". To dismiss them as "lost" hurts us all. By the same token, I take great joy and hope for our future when I talk to a young person who is engaged. I am much more interested in how they came to a political position rather than the position itself.

The next time you are close to your neighborhood YMCA, stop in and ask about the YIG program. The more you know about this program and others like it, the more hope you will have for our youth of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment