Saturday, October 5, 2013

The ACTS of Praying

 
 

 
"If we could talk to God only a fraction as much as He talks to us, we would be much better off."


First my confession: I am not nearly at good at prayer as I should be or would like to be. That is a constant "do-better" I give myself. It is one of the greatest gifts we have, and why I don't take advantage of it more, is beyond me.

I am not writing this article to be "preachy" - those who know me, know it is not my style. I have been involved in many different churches in my adult life. I have been on church councils, vision councils, vision boards, unpaid staff positions and paid staff positions. I have seen the good, the not so good, and the very not so good side of service within the church. I have been critical in the past of churches which I thought did not act enough like the church. That was wrong of me. The church is still the Bride of Christ and should be treated as such. The church and it's leadership are attacked constantly by the enemy, and I need to remember that. The church is "ground zero" for the battle.

Back to praying. What I have learned later in my life (mostly because I was not paying attention), was the ACTS of praying. Even though many know this, for those who do not, the ACTS are:
  • Adoration
  • Confession
  • Thanksgiving
  • Supplication
When I come off one of my "quiet periods" as I have recently, I realize how much I have penalized myself by not talking to God. Using ACTS alone, I could or should be talking to Him all day long. The fact that the Creator of the universe, of all things great and small, of all things seen and unseen - that He has a caring and loving interest in me, is enough by itself to bring me to my knees.

I have wondered this past week if we would be in this mess if everyone in Washington began their day with a prayer asking for discernment. I think daily prayer, two cups of grace, and large doses of love and compassion, would fix most of our problems in Washington and elsewhere. God gave us the recipe on how to get along and care for each other. If we listen with our hearts, He will remind us every day how to do it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment