Monday, March 24, 2014

Da Plane!

 
 


"I am afraid that not even Tattoo could find this plane..."



I was at the YMCA this morning when I saw the presser from Malaysia concerning the missing Boeing 777. Truthfully, I almost fell off the treadmill. It was like a murder being solved in the absence of finding a body and not knowing the motive. The spokesperson for the Malaysian government was very coy about his evidence. It was a real "trust me" minute.

What do I think? I think it is possible that the plane is lying at the bottom of the Indian Ocean in two mile deep water. I also think it was possible for the plane to disappear through a worm hole or end up in the belly of a giant UFO. Are any of these outcomes probable? No. It still strikes me as odd that in a world where the NSA knows everything about me, including my trips to the bathroom, we can loose a jet the size of a 777. How fast? Faster than David Copperfield could make it vanish.

So - if it is not lying on the bottom of the ocean, somewhere at land's end, where in the Sam Hill is it? Lieutenant General Thomas McInerney (USAF Retired), a man who I respect and admire, has a different take. He still has some contacts in the "agency" and without naming names, he has been told the plane is in Pakistan. Even after the news was released today, he is sticking by his sources.

My heart goes out to the people who were on that plane and their families. They did not deserve this. If I had a loved one on that plane I would still be less than satisfied. Accepting the fact the plane rests in a location thousands of miles in the wrong direction from the destination would be a bitter pill for me to digest. In fact, that story does not even come close to passing the sniff test.

Is it on Fantasy Island with Tattoo jumping up and down on its arrival? Is it on Jules Verne's Mysterious Island? Is it in another dimension? Or is it someplace that nobody has thought of yet. If they do indeed find the jet's black boxes miles under the Indian Ocean, this story will be one for the ages. It will re-write the textbooks. It will change everything about SAR (search and rescue).  As for me, I am still trying to separate science from science fiction. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment