Sunday, March 2, 2014

Hands and Feet

 
 


"I want to be your hands
I want to be your feet
I'll go where you send me
I'II go where you send me"

Audio Adrenaline
"Hands and Feet"



Some days when I wake up and watch the news, I really wonder where we are going. Then I remember one thing. God is in control. Totally and absolutely in control. That being said, we are still living in a broken world. Even in this broken world, there are things we can do which make a difference. We have been given the book of instructions, the road map if you will, on what to do and how to do it. And it is not complicated. We need to love. We need to serve. We need to forgive.

I have always admired those who decide to shoulder the expense and rigors of traveling to far off lands to help those who really do have nothing. I have never done it, and I don't believe I ever will. That type of service is not for everyone. Like I said, I really admire those who chose that type of commitment.

However, for those who wish to serve the hungry, the homeless, and the hurting, opportunities abound close to home. When I say close to home, for many, it is much closer than you think. March is National Food Shelf Month. It is when the food shelves are low and need to get a huge influx of food. The good news is the number of people who donate keeps going up. The bad news is the number of people who need food assistance is also going up, and fast.

There are many families who are one sickness, one job loss, one major expense away from using food shelves. Very few of us are immune these days. Donating to the food shelf is an "easy give". Most grocery stores have pre-made bags for $5 or $10 containing items the food shelves really need. Even stores like Menards have a food shelf donation box. It is as inexpensive as it is easy.

"There but by the grace of God go I", is something many of us have heard in our lifetimes. As we have been blessed, it is expected we in turn bless others. Clothing the naked, feeding the hungry, and helping the hurting has been our call to action since day one. God knows we can't do it all - He just expects we do something.


No comments:

Post a Comment