Sunday, March 30, 2014

No More, No Less...

 
 


"I would like to tell you how pious I am on this one, but I fall down daily..."




I can't take it anymore. There are things about politics I love, and there are things I can't stand. One of the things that drives me crazy is the trashing of the 9th Commandment. I understand this commandment well - I easily break it often and then am filled with guilt and remorse. I am however, trying to do better.

We have an important election coming up in Minnesota, as well as the nation. For the first time in my life, I am a delegate to the district convention as well as the state. Because of that, I am getting quite a bit of information about candidates and now they feel about  their opponents. I have said this before, I love a good policy discussion or debate. What drives me crazy is antidotal or hearsay information which does nothing to further the debate, only debase the other side.

Most of us do it. Rumors, innuendos, gossip, back biting, you name it. I have been guilty of all of them. However, I believe this most important false witness commandment earned its place on the Tablet of Ten for a very good reason. For example, consider what the Bible says in James 3, verses 5 and 6:

"Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.  The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell."
 
The Bible also tells us in Ephesians 4:29 to edify each other, so say good things about each other. It is okay to have a disagreement with one another, as long as it is done with love and respect. Disagree without being disagreeable. Be a guardian of the truth as well as being kind.
 
So can we go through this upcoming political season without besmirching each other? Is it possible to parse policy differences while still treating each other as if we all have value? Can we say things to each other out of love, even though it might be of a different point of view?
 
As I said earlier, I have failed miserably on this one in the past. For that I am sorry. I know I will never be perfect on this one, but daily I will try to improve. If I can change myself just a bit more by not perpetuating rumors and bearing false witness, then maybe, in the smallest way, it can help change the world. Even Mahatma Gandhi addressed the importance of self change when he said the following:
 
"If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. We need not wait to see what others do."
 
 
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment