Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Heart

 
 
 
 

"Wow - I love the heart on that person!"
 
 

Like many of us, I have been pondering quite a bit as of late. In particular, I have been thinking about the heart. More specifically, what is the heart? We hear about it constantly. John has a heart for politics, Sally broke my heart, my wife has my heart. But then again, what exactly is the heart?
 
Lets first look at anatomy. The physical organ, the heart, is very important to us all. Without our heart, we would not last more than a minute or so. The physical heart has no feelings - it is a magnificent pump which operates at the direction of our autonomic nervous system. And what about the the brain? Is the heart in the brain? Well, as magnificent as the brain is, along with all the synapses and memory paths, it is still just a physical organ.
 
Those of us who tinkered with the piano as youth, remember playing Heart and Soul. I am beginning to think that song should have been named Heart is Soul instead. I am convinced our hearts nothing more than the reflection of our soul. In other words, if you cut someone open and looked for their heart, you would never find it. But trust me, it is there.
 
I have met so many people who have such good hearts. I have seen hearts change. I have seen God change hearts. This invisible thing, which lives within all of us, directs our path more than anything physical. Many years ago, when I told my wife she had my heart, I meant it. Because she had my heart, she got he rest of me also. Heart, soul and body. That is the combination.
 
We can't change the world by ourselves. It just can't happen. However, we can change our hearts. If we need help, God is more than willing to help us on that journey. God can look into our hearts, no matter how much we try to hide what is in them. And He can change them. Who knows? If enough hearts change, maybe the world will follow. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment