Friday, April 27, 2018

Immutable facts of life






"Ceding all or some, of one's liberty and freedoms to any government has inherent risks. It is a very slippery slope indeed. This is why our founding documents were crafted the way they were. They are crystal clear in the people own the government, not visa versa."



Years ago, decades before I started blogging, I had an inspiration. I wanted to jot down in a very simple format, some of the truths which I had found in my life. I did it for me, so I could refer to them from time to time. But I mostly did them for my daughters. For years I had this list mounted in a frame, hanging on a wall in my study. I think I still have it someplace, but the current location escapes me.

One of my favorite truths which has been brought to mind as of late, goes as follows: "All men are born free - you will remain free until someone takes that freedom away from you". If I were to write my immutable facts down again, this one would look somewhat different. Why? Because in the decades since I penned this one, I have learned much more.

The new version would read, "All men are born free, with natural or God given rights. That freedom, and those rights, remain with us until either someone takes them away, or they are given away." Bingo! There is not a person on this planet who does not have the same rights we have. The problem with many, is those rights have either been stolen away by an invading force, or given away to a tyrannical or oppressive government. 

The point that Emmanuel Macron made over and over during his visit to America was simply this - France and the United States are joined at the hip when it comes to liberty and freedom. Both nations "get it". Both nations were enslaved to either a foreign government or a tyrannical government. Then they threw off their chains, via revolutions. 

For some reason, and I have never understood why, some are okay with not being totally free. Maybe it is because freedom is never truly free. That freedom quite often has a cost, and responsibilities. Ceding all or some, of one's liberty and freedoms to any government has inherent risks. It is a very slippery slope indeed. This is why our founding documents were crafted the way they were. They are crystal clear in their most important point. The people own the government, not visa versa.

One more of my immutable truths which I remember. "Kill people with kindness, even when they don't deserve it. Don't worry, they won't die from it". That is a good one to remember when spreading our story of liberty and freedom. Do it with conviction, as well as two cups of kindness. Don't worry - they won't die from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment