Wednesday, April 18, 2018

My change - PLEASE!!!






"It is OUR money, and the people we send to St. Paul or Washington WORK FOR US! I know it is hard for them to understand, so let's all keep reminding them of those two very important facts."



Yesterday for lunch, I went out for a burger and a soft drink. The restaurant on the corner was having a special where (after tax), the total cost of the lunch was only $8. These days - not bad. I had a pleasant server, we chatted while I ate, and then she brought me my bill - as promised, $8 to the penny. I was going to give her a nice tip, so I gave her a $20 and with the $12 of change, I was going to voluntarily share some of it with her. But that stopped in a heartbeat.

She came back with only four dollars. I was a bit stunned. I told her in the nicest way possible, I thought she made a mistake. "Nope" she replied, "The owner has plans for the other $8. You got your four, so you should be happy." I was almost speechless, so I started to sputter - "But, but, but - that is my money! What gives your owner the right to keep my money? That is like theft!" The server went on, "Oh yes - we hear that all the time. But the owner has your money now, and he is not giving it back."

By this time I am seeing red - but I knew I had to control myself. So, I tried a different tactic. "Is the owner having some financial problems? Is he going out of business? Is he ready to lose the lease on the restaurant?" Now the server was get agitated with me - big time. "No, no, and no again. He is going fine financially. In fact, his lease has already been paid off for the next year or so." Now I am going out of my mind. "They why in the Sam Hill does he need my money more than me?!?!" Before she walked away and I left in a huff, she gave me her parting words. "That really is none of your business."

No, the lunch story is not true. But the getting back only 1/3 of what we are owed might be coming true. Currently, that is the plan in St. Paul. This is an off year, and the state government is fully funded. How fully funded? So funded, there is money left over. Our money. Over taxed money. But the leaders in St. Paul (sadly, one is even from my BPOU) do not want to give it all back to the owners of the money - us. Just take your third and shut up.

Here is some irony to this story. Last weekend at my district convention, I cornered one of our Representatives (not mine for sure!). I asked about when we were going to fix Social Security like most of the other states have done. He looked at me and said we were trying, but it is hard. It is going to be hard to afford. He went on to say that maybe we could do it over five years, so the pain to the state would not be too great.

Get the picture? The state has a $300+M surplus, and we can't give our seniors relief on Social Security? If that is the company line, it might be time to get a new company.

Keep spreading this message folks - GIVE IT BACK!!! Don't settle for the usual gobblety gook which comes out of Washington or St. Paul. It is OUR money, and the people we send to St. Paul or Washington WORK FOR US! I know it is hard for them to understand, so let's all keep reminding them of those two very important facts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment