Friday, December 29, 2023

Confessions of a "Maniac"





"Am I disappointed in Maine, that they would do something as stupid as trying to keep Trump off their ballot? Sure am. But southern Maine was become loaded with many of the goofballs who live in New York, New Jersey, Vermont, Boston, and Rhode Island."


A "maniac". Yes, I was one at a time. A "maniac" was a slur for someone living up in Maine. The native Maine folks hated it however - they preferred to be called "Mainers". Oh, well. Why was I living in northern Maine? The Navy. After roasting me for a year and a half in Okinawa, they decided to freeze me for another year and a half in northern Maine. But truthfully? I loved it up there. It was like northern Minnesota, only with mountains.

Why am I writing about my time in Maine? I mean, that was back in the early 70's. After what happened yesterday, I wanted to throw my two cents in about the culture up in Maine. You see, Maine is a lot like Minnesota (politically). Southern Maine, down by Portland and Lewiston (even Bangor these days), are very, very blue. Kind of like the Twin Cities of Minnesota. Up in the northern and coastal part of the state was very different. Rugged individuals, who had some very conservative leanings.

Yesterday's decision by Maine to throw Donald Trump off the state ballot (because of "insurrection") had southern Maine painted all over it. Why in the world would Maine do this, as after Colorado did it, the legal experts all agreed SCOTUS would overturn this decision in a heartbeat. My opinion? Just to make a splash. Like, "Hello? We are up here also. And we count." How did Shakespeare word it? "Sound and fury, signifying nothing." That is Maine, and their decision to deep six Donald Trump.

The house in the pic was the house another sailor and I rented while living up there. It was located on fourteen acres of woodland, out in the Maine hinterland. My roommate and I had opposite watch schedules, so much of the time I spent at the house was just me. We had neighbors (lobstermen and lumberjacks) but they were a distance away from our house. When I did run into one of my neighbors, I liked them, and they liked the fact we were in the Navy. They were good, honest hard-working folk. Other than our distant neighbors, what did we have for company while living out there? Lots and lots of deer and black bear (with an occasional moose).

Am I disappointed in Maine, that they would do something as stupid as trying to keep Trump off their ballot? Sure am. But southern Maine was become loaded with many of the goofballs who live in New York, New Jersey, Vermont, Boston, and Rhode Island. Many are just inches away from being Commies.

Bottom line? Maine is just as bifurcated as the rest of the country is right now. We remain two countries living within the same borders. We have a bad marriage with each other and are moving closer and closer to divorce. What will a divorce look like? I am afraid to ask.    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment