Sunday, December 6, 2020

In to the future, I go gently...





"By the middle to end of the year, 2021 could be a bright, shining light after coming out of the darkness of 2020. That is what most of us are hoping and praying for."


Today is the Bird's birthday. The only reason I mention that fact, is to illustrate a point. A point I dare say many of us have come to realize this past year. A year ago today, I turned 70. We had a fun family day at Jax Restaurant in NE Mpls. To make it a special day for the littles as well, it was Jax annual Breakfast with Santa event. No pandemic, very little politics - just family fun.

After the brunch was over, and my wife and I came home, I thought about the future. I thought about how much fun it was going to be experiencing all the excitement of 2020. In my mind, turning 70 and heading into 2020 was going to be a double header of fun. And it was - until March rolled around, and we were vacationing in Florida. The rest is all history, which does not need to be relived in this article.

Now, it is a year later, and I look forward to 2021 with a different perspective. First off, my feet hit the floor when I got up this morning. I am still here. For that, I am grateful to our Heavenly Father. But as clear as I thought the future looked at this time last year, is as cloudy as it looks to me this year. The best word I can use to how I feel looking forward into 2021 is, unsettled.

But life must go on. Our country must go on. Even though life is uncertain and tough right now, one thing is for certain. God is in control. There is a plan that God knows of. We might not, but He does. We just need to trust in Him, and listen for His soft, gentle voice. 

That being said, we need to prepare ourselves for the next three months. Every thing I have read from many different medical experts, say the same thing. This is going to be a rough ride. The head of the CDC said this could be the darkest period in our nation's medical history. Okay - but we still need to go on. We still need our country to go on. 

And that is where I come to where I am at today, on my birthday. Unlike last year, when I could not wait to dive into the new year, this year I am prepared to go gently into the new year. By the middle to end of the year, 2021 could be a bright, shining light after coming out of the darkness of 2020. That is what most of us are hoping and praying for. But we also need to prepare ourselves, that 2021 could offer some more unwelcomed surprises.

One thing I do know is this. No matter what the new year brings, be it good, bad, or ugly - we will be better prepared if we face it together, and not so divided. The Holy Bible tells us, "A house divided against itself cannot stand".  Words to ponder, as we go gently into the new year. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment