Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Go learn something...







"Both Agents Pride and Gibbs are wise beyond their years. Good shows, fun shows, to watch on a regular basis..."



Every year about this time, I not only look back on the highs and lows of the past year, but I also start crafting how I want to approach the new year. Not just places I would like to go, home improvements I would like to see done, or maybe even a toy or two I would like to buy. I am talking about something much more substantial. How to improve as a person. Not only a person, but a husband, a father, a grandfather, a friend. In other words, every year I try to do a wee bit of a "makeover".

My wife and I are both NCIS addicts. We love all three of the series. The newest one, NCIS New Orleans has us particularly interested. The lead character, Dwayne "King" Pride (played by Scott Bakula) has a saying he often tells his team when they are off to investigate a crime. "Go learn something" he will tell them. More and more, I realize how profound that is. Each day, every day, we can learn something new. Something unexplored.

Like many of us, each time I take stock of myself, it is not to find out how much I know - it is the realization of how much I do not. How much there is to learn. So this upcoming year, each day I will start out with that one self directed action - go learn something. And to learn stuff about a variety of things. More about science. History. Theology. Geography. Current affairs. Yes, even politics.

Every month I try to utilize the virtual unlimited supply of information contained in the internet. How to separate the wheat from the chaff. The solid knowledge from the histrionics. And every year, the number of websites on the internet increases. It is now estimated that sometime in early 2016, we will hit 1,000,000,000 websites for the first time. And contained in many of those websites, is a bevy of factual knowledge. Facts. Interesting stuff. Unfortunately, there are also many counterfeit sites. Sites that just contain garbage.

Time to wrap this up. I want to do some research on the new self landing rockets being developed by SpaceX and Blue Origin. This is exciting stuff. Game changing stuff. There is much to learn here. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.  

No comments:

Post a Comment