Monday, December 28, 2015

The year of living wirelessly







"Sometimes when I try and figure out how this wireless stuff works, it gives me a headache. It is like trying to figure out how long is forever..."


Okay. The title was a snarky bit of humor. A takeoff on the movie The Year of Living Dangerously. But living wirelessly has nothing to do with Hollywood. Or science fiction. It is science, and it is here. Now. For all to enjoy. At long last, we are becoming untethered. Really and truly, untethered.

As I pen this, my wife and I are sitting in our sunroom reflecting on the day. Some of our favorite music is flooding the house from the other room. Here is how that relates to this article. The music is some that I have stored "in the cloud". It is only accessible when I am connected to the internet. I am now connected to the internet, wirelessly, via my modem. The music is coming from the "cloud", to the modem, then to my tablet, and finally to my paired wireless bluetooth speaker. It sounds so simple to listen to our music this way, but truthfully - it blows my mind. And it sounds great!

It gets even better. At 4pm, I will turn the music off and watch (on my laptop) my favorite afternoon show (live) on Fox News Channel. And it will be wireless. It comes over my internet, through my modem, and to my laptop. I can watch this channel in high definition with excellent sound. All without one single wire (except the one connecting the modem to our service provider).

Different tech blogs I have been reading say that 2016 could be a breakout year for wireless technology. Or as I have punned, the "year of living wirelessly". Soon we will be able to access just about anything, just about anywhere, at just about any time. It is coming, and coming fast. And so are the transmission speeds. Download, upload speeds will be wicked fast, and very reliable. 

If you are thinking this whole wireless thing is a passing fancy, it is not. It is here to stay. The old days of having speakers and components with 100 feet of wire are over - forever. Soon that ugly cable wire to your TV will be past tense. All our information will be instantaneous and wireless.

Enough of this blather. I have to finish up my songs by Cat Stevens so I can get ready to watch my 4pm show. All wirelessly. The future is now here, and I am digging it!   




No comments:

Post a Comment