Tuesday, January 17, 2023

New additions for a new Congress




"How do I feel about having a retired Master Chief like Tony Gonzales serving in Congress? I will sleep better at night. Why? Tony has the watch, and he knows how to do it the right way."  



The other day, I had the chance to hear one of our new Congressmen interviewed on the news. Tony Gonzales from Texas 23rd district, is someone who really caught my attention. Why? He is somewhat like me. Well, sort of. He is a retired cryptologist from the United States Navy. In twenty years, he made it all the way to Master Chief. Not an easy task! He had the same kind of clearance I had, and did similar things I did while serving. Before you say "so what", here is why I bring this up.

On the news program, he was asked about the classified documents which were found at Slo Joe's "think tank" as well as his private residence. I was curious to hear what he said, since I have not been in "the game" since 1992, and Congressman Gonzales recently retired. He was asked what the rules were in handling classified documents. His answer was pleasing to the ears.

I guess not much has changed since I retired. Congressman Gonzales talked about the "rules of the SCIF". Like, nothing leaves, unless it is properly couriered, and then taken to another secure facility  (like another SCIF). Seems with Hillary, Trump and Biden, those rules became something less than guidelines. I have said this before - all it would have taken, is for me to accidently or on purpose to take ONE classified document home, and my goose would have been cooked. Like Congressman Gonzales, I knew the rules and followed them. To a "T".

I really have grown tired of hearing about the rich and powerful playing by different rules than the rest of us. I would love to see Biden's clearance yanked for what he did, but that would not work. Having a President with no security clearance would be a fool's errand. So what do we do with Clinton, Trump and Biden (and possibly others)? Make this a teaching moment so it NEVER happens again. But before we do that, we need to ensure that the classified documents in Biden's "think tank" and private residence were not compromised. If they were, that is a whole different issue.

I have confidence that in the two years this Congress will be in existence, many unknowns will become known. That is a good thing. It is one thing for an Administration to proclaim they are "the most transparent" in history, it is quite another for proper Congressional oversight to agree with them.

How do I feel about having a retired Master Chief like Tony Gonzales serving in Congress? I will sleep better at night. Why? Tony has the watch, and he knows how to do it the right way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment