Thursday, August 3, 2023

"The talk"




"This being a policeman thing, is an extremely dangerous thing to do. Besides the daily danger, should a split-second decision result in the death of a young person of color, a policeman could go from 'cop to criminal' in a heartbeat."


When I first received my driver's license, I like many others my age, had the "the talk" with my dad. "When you are driving, and should you be lit up by a cop to pull over, do it immediately. When the officer comes to your car door, roll down the window and keep both hands on the steering wheel. Address him as 'Yes sir' and answer all his questions. If he gives to a ticket, don't argue."

Yesterday, we had another young man get shot by police officers. It should never have happened. He was pulled over for not having rear lights. Any police officer would pull over any driver for the same. But upon questioning, the LEOs found out he was wanted for questioning due to a felony warrant. That is when things went south. One thing led to another, and suddenly you have a young black man, bleeding to death, after being shot by white police officers.

George Floyd did not have to die. Daunte Wright did not have to die. Many young men, no matter the color or background, did not have to die "by cop". Did any of the young men of color who are shot by the police, did they do the right thing? Or the foolish thing of trying to flee in a car. Sometimes endangering the police by hitting them or dragging them. Am I trying to excuse all shootings by the police? Nope - but many did not have to happen.

This being a policeman thing, is an extremely dangerous thing to do. Besides the daily danger, should a split-second decision result in the death of a young person of color, a policeman could go from "cop to criminal" in a heartbeat. Suddenly in many big cities, senior policemen and women are retiring early. Or claiming PTSD. With all those vacancies (including the reductions in force brought on by leftist city councils), there are a lot of holes in police formations. Quality recruits are hard to come by. 

The results of the shooting this week make me sad. Do I blame the police? Usually, no. But I do blame the situation that leads to tragedy. To this day, I remember "the talk" my dad had with me. Have I been pulled over in all the years I have been driving? Yes. Did I receive a ticket? Once. The police when pulling me over, were just doing their job. That is all. The ticket I received, I paid the fine and life went on. As it should be.     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment