Sunday, October 5, 2014

Coastal Maine, Coastal Alaska



"If there are two more breathtaking places in America, I would sure like to see them!"



While serving in the Navy, I was fortunate to be stationed in Northern Maine for my second tour. It was everything Northern Minnesota was, and then some. I have said many times, living in Maine changed my life. Even though I grew up in Minnesota, I was really a "city boy". I liked visiting Northern Minnesota, however, I never really lived "in the rough". Being stationed in Maine gave me that opportunity.

When people have asked me what coastal Maine is like, I tell them it is the North Shore of Minnesota times ten. It really is that spectacular. Back in the 1970's, when I was stationed in Maine, it was very sparse in population. There were less than a million people statewide, and most of them lived in the southern part. In the Northern part? Well, in the "off season" when the summer folk headed back down the coast, I would see more black bear and deer than people.

Because there were so few people who lived up there year round, they relied on other for company, companionship and entertainment. There really was no TV, except for one or two channels - and this only if you were lucky. I shared an old farm house located on fourteen acres of forest land with another sailor. In my off time, I would read, listen to music, listen to the radio, or visit with my neighbors. That is it. If you liked to explore the woods be it in summer, winter, spring or fall - that was always open to do.

For many years I thought the people Northern Maine were the toughest, most hearty people I had ever met. That is, until we visited coastal Alaska this year. Shortly after we returned home, a friend of mine asked me if Alaska was really that good, really that spectacular. I told that person it really was that good. In my opinion, it was Northern Maine times ten.

As tough as the folks in Northern Maine were, people who live year round in Alaska are something else. Inland the temperature can often drop to -50F overnight. On the coast, it will not get that cold, but there are those winter storms. In Northern Maine, if the winter ever really got long and bad, one could hop on I-95 and drive down to Boston. In coastal Alaska, there really are no roads. Many cities are accessible by only float plane or boat. As one local told us, "You need to stay healthy as there are no doctors around."

I don't know what Northern Maine is like today. I have not been there for over 40 years. I hope it has not changed too much. I would like to recommend if you want to see America at it's most rugged, such as the settlers saw it, visit coastal Maine or coastal Alaska. I would do it sooner rather than later. Seeing either one today, is like seeing America though a time tunnel.



No comments:

Post a Comment