Sunday, October 26, 2014

Mike is my friend, but....

 
 


"He is a good man. He is a friend. However, I cannot support him for this new position..."


Okay, I know all politics is local. I have known Mike Gamache for many years. I recruited him to be on the first Andover YMCA Board. Mike is a decent man, a family man. After serving for many years as our Mayor, Mike has decided to move on. He has a good job at one of the Twin Cities largest employers. Now he wants to run for the open seat on the Anoka Country Board. It is with a troubled heart that I must write this rebuttal to Mike joining the Board.

As many years as Mike was Mayor of our growing town of Andover, he kept his politics pretty close to his vest. I had heard (through antidotal evidence) that Mike leaned Left. However, he never disclosed that to me. Like I say, Mike and only served on the YMCA Board together, devoid of politics.

I know many of the people who comprise the current Anoka County Board. Most are friends, some are very good friends. I am proud of the job they are doing. Our county stands out amongst all the rest. Better living, lower taxes. This did not happen by accident. Our Board works well together and have done great things. So, what does this have to do with my friend Mike Gamache running for the open seat on the Board? I will tell you.

I don't know the other person running for this spot as well as I know Mike. I know her a bit, but not too much. However, I know her politics enough. Mike had an ad in our local newspaper which said it all - he is endorsed by the AFL-CIO. You might have will tattooed a "Owned and paid for by the DFL" in the same ad.

That is when I made my mind up. As much as I like Mike as a friend and fellow long time resident of Andover, I cannot, and will not, support him for this position. We need clear thinkers, not people who owned by the unions to run our county. Don't get me wrong - Mike did good things while Mayor of Andover - many good things. However, the Board is a whole different story. We need people representing us who are more concerned about the taxpayers than the union bosses.

That is why this year I am supporting and endorsing someone whom I do not know as well as Mike. Debbie Johnson is running for the same seat. I support her for this position. I know her well enough to know she is not owned by anyone. Please vote for Debbie a week from Tuesday!



No comments:

Post a Comment