Wednesday, October 29, 2014

From Hero to Goat in 21 Days...

 
 

 
"She looks good - like a poster child for the nursing profession. I guess looks can be deceiving..."



I have a confession to make. I have always admired the organization Doctors without Borders. They are the ones who truly venture into lands occupied by the least of us. They run towards danger, never away from it. They are brave heroes, all of them. Sometimes they get a bit too political for my blood, but their good deeds seem to cover up a few flaws.

This brings us to the most famous (or infamous) nurse in America. Kaci Hickox is freshly back from fighting Ebola in one of the African "Hot Zones". At first, she told the public she was working for the Doctors without Borders. Whoops - minor slip of the tongue. She was really working with the Doctors without Borders. In actuality, she works for the CDC, as 
a Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) officer.

When she landed in New Jersey, Governor Christie had her located to an isolation tent. She was to stay there for 21 days. After 21 days, she would be considered "clean" from bringing back any infection. "No way Jose", she shouted. "You let me out of here, or I will get a lawyer and sue your socks off!" (So to speak). Using her ties (and pull) with the CDC (and President), she managed to arm wrestle the NJ Governor out of the 21 day confinement. "I am going up to Maine, where I am appreciated, and I can live free!" Enough of putting up with this big bully Republican Governor!

This is where dear, sweet Kaci went from hero to goat. Right now, we have more questions than answers about this new strain of the Ebola Virus. Most doctors (I would assume), would have us err on the side of caution. Not Nurse Kaci - no, it is all about her. Her civil liberties being violated. Rather than do the right thing by taking three weeks off, staying in isolation and binging on Netflix, she is acting like a crybaby.

She traveled up to Maine to start new life free from Ebola quarantine. "Not so fast" the Maine Governor states. "We don't have isolation tents up here, but you must remain in house quarantine for 21 days." In shocked disbelief, Nurse Kaci replies, "Oh no you don't sir. If I am not released by this time tomorrow, I will have my lawyer sue you also."

The saga continues. Me, I would not have Nurse Kaci cut my toenails. As a medical professional, she is dead to me. She might as well go back to school and get her law degree as that seems to be her new direction. Part of the blame I put on her, and the other part I put on our government for being caught "flat footed", once again. I guess tomorrow we will find out what the next chapter in this soap opera is.


No comments:

Post a Comment