Friday, October 10, 2014

Very little change...

 
 

 
"The only change I see this election cycle is we will have a different Congressman in CD6..."



The State of Minnesota over the years, has changed color many times. It has gone from blue to light red to purple and now back to blue (and getting bluer). Our colorful state is now gearing up for next month's election. So what is going to change? I am afraid very little. Just like when I was a boy, what I want and what I expect to get, are not always the same.

With the exception of Michele Bachmann's open seat in CD6, as well as the Minnesota Secretary of State position, most of the contested seats have incumbents. And the polls are showing many (if not all) of the incumbents are safe for re-election. Some will be more closely contested than others, but for the most part, it is predicted that incumbents will keep their jobs.

What I thought was going to be the most interesting race, has been a yawner. First a bit of disclosure. I am a firm supporter of Tom Emmer. He is a friend. I contribute to him. His signs are all over my yard. That being said, I was looking forward to seeing Tom do what he does best this campaign season - debate. Tom is a very good debater. He is smart, and he is savvy. In the October 8th debate, Tom did very well. I really thought to topple him, the Democrats would come after him hammer and tong. Ask for as many debates as they could. To my surprise, just the opposite is happening. Besides for a few highway signs, very little is heard from Tom's challenger.

Most pundits and pollsters believe (as I do also), that Tom Emmer is going to be our new Congressman. I think Tom will do just fine in his new position. The Strib will hate him, just like they hated Michele. Oh well.

Besides having Tom as my new Congressman, my hope and wishes for next month are quite simple. With the rapidly changing world events, as well as the mounting scandals within the White House, there will be a "throw the bums out" movement. MN GOP has excellent candidates, just chomping at the bit to be elected. The candidates in CD4, CD5, CD7 and CD8 all would do a great job if elected.

Hands down, Jeff Johnson would make an EXCELLENT Governor. Mike McFadden would definitely be a step up from Al Franken. Doc Severson would put sanity and honesty back in the Secretary of State position. Randy Gilbertson would be a true watch dog as the State Auditor. Finally, we have not had a Republican Attorney General since I started to shave. Yes, it has been that long. It is time for us to have Scott Newman as a truly independent AG in our state!

Anyhow, like I said earlier, what I wish for and what might happen could be a lot different. I am very excited about our prospects for CD6. Beyond that, I only have a wish and a prayer for the rest of the election.





No comments:

Post a Comment