Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Wither the Navy...







"The Zumwalt (DDG-1000) and LCS (Littoral Combat Ship) type platforms will work out their kinks in short order. They will then become a vital part of our fighting force. They will continue to become faster, more stealthy, and of course, much more lethal." 




As a retired Navy guy, I have had, still have, and probably always will have a keen interest in the United States Navy. Although I love all five of our nation's services (yes, I am including the "Coasties"), I have a special place in my heart for the Navy. The men and women who are serving, and who have served, have done a very special and vital service for our country's security.


If the truth be known, I was not a seafaring sailor in my 21 years in the Navy. It is not that I did not want to go to sea. It is just that my specialty had very few sea billets (jobs) at that time. Therefore,I spent most of my time at shore stations. However, in the time I served in the Naval Reserve, I also worked for defense contractors. And that I did for almost 25 years.

While in that industry, I mostly worked on the AEGIS/VLS programs. Yes, I got to know them quite well. And the the progress I saw in those two programs from the time I first started until I exited the industry, was nothing short of fantastic. Today, I believe the increase in capabilities of our DDG ships (and derivations thereof) continues on nicely.

So wither our Navy? Like in the next 25 years? I will give my opinion without the benefit of any superior knowledge - just knowing what I know from the past.

  • The "wave top to azimuth" protection of the CG and DDG type ships will only get better, faster and deadlier. In reality, the capability of those ships also have "below wave top", where they can also detect and fight submarine threats.
  • The Zumwalt (DDG-1000) and LCS (Littoral Combat Ship) type platforms will work out their "kinks" in short order. They will then become a vital part of our fighting force. They will continue to become faster, more stealthy, and of course, much more lethal. 
  • The VLS (and derivations thereafter) will be able to launch "exoatmospheric" type kill munitions which can counter any type of terminal stage ICBM, or EMP pulse type weapon. The ships these counter measures can deploy will be stationed or moved to anyplace on the globe which holds "blue water".
  • Our Navy will also have the capability to conduct low altitude anti-satellite warfare against any nation which proves to be a threat. 
  • Finally, our new class of carrier, starting with the 2017 launch of the USS Gerald Ford, will have the best ship based aircraft in the world. Yes, the shipboard version of the F-35 will be operational and deadly.

Bottom line? Our Navy is going to continue to play a vital part of our nation's defense. My hope for our Navy is it will be like the Navy under the Reagan Administration. All dressed up and ready to go. In other words, "Peace through strength". The capabilities are there, but not a shot needs to be fired to maintain world peace. 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment