Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Knocking on Heaven's Door







"We are here for such a short time, but in that short time we all have a purpose. Each day, every day we need to be mindful that what we do counts." 



It has been one of those weeks. The reminder. Sometimes it is a gentle nudge, and other times it is like getting slapped in the face with a brick. What am I talking about? The grim reaper. The uninvited guest which comes into our lives. Death. Even though we all know death is coming at some time, when it does come, it is a show stopper.

This past week we found out one of the men who was a "driver" in getting the Alpha Program established in northwest churches has passed on. He was only slightly older than me. A giant of a man with a heart just as large, he was known by everyone for his booming voice and  "bear hugs". His hugs which did not hurt, but were just tight enough to know that he really cared for you as as person. Gone at the age of 70. But with a legacy which will live on for many years to come.

Today, my wife went out to lunch with a dear friend and neighbor who recently lost her husband. Like many spouses, he was the love of her life. For the last seven years they spent together, he was in a coma and needed care. She became his primary care giver. And yet when he passed, there was the void - the emptiness. The years have not been kind nor easy for her ever since he left.

Last Sunday in church we were reminded of something. The teaching was very profound and important. Our time in this life, on this Earth, is but a blinking of an eye. Our real home is not here. For those who love the Lord, when the time comes to be called home, the great reunion awaits. The loss, the pain, the emptiness, will all pass away. This is the promise we have all been given. It is foundational.

One of our former senators, when dying from cancer, looked up and said, "My last breath on Earth will be followed by my first breath in Heaven." To that I say, Amen! He knew and lived the promise.

We are here for such a short time, but in that short time we all have a purpose. Each day, every day we need to be mindful that what we do counts. 

Tonight before I close my eyes, I will again have introspection. Did I do good today? Did I do the right thing(s)? Can I do better tomorrow? Our days here are a gift - a gift more precious than gold. Each and every day is an opportunity to make a difference. To follow and fulfill a purpose. 

If I am blessed to have it, tomorrow will be another day. I will pick myself up, dust myself off from the mistakes I made yesterday, and know that God loves me as His child. He loves me, no matter how broken I am. That is the promise I live with - on Earth, and until I also come knocking on Heaven's door.

No comments:

Post a Comment