"There are a great many times I am glad I no longer have the obligation of knowing some of our nation's most vital secrets. However, in today's dicey environment, I just might give my eyeteeth to see below the iceberg's surface."
Many decades ago, when I first received final TS SCI clearance, the chief who was doing the indoctrination told me something I have never forgotten. "When you are uncleared, when you see an iceberg, you will only see 10% of it. Now that you are cleared, you have the privilege, and obligation, to guard this nation's secrets. In short, often times you will know what part, to all, of the other 90% of the iceberg is made up of."
The chief continued, "Most of it you will find boring. Some you will find interesting. And once in a while, you will learn things that will scare the living hell out of you." In my 21 years of having a high level clearance in the Navy, I found that chief to be correct on all his points - even the last one.
Yes, I did know things which made my blood run cold. Times in which I thought, "this is it." There was one time back in 1972 that I was so convinced the trigger was about to be pulled, I wanted to call my folks to say good-bye. That I loved them. And when it was over, things went back to "normal". Yet, none of those scary moments ever saw the light of day. Never made the nightly news or the papers. They were the stories which resided on the bottom of the iceberg which nobody ever saw.
Today, the fact so much about North Korea is making the news really bothers me. If that is the 10% which is being leaked to the public, I shudder to think what the other 90% is. For example, it was reported today in the MSM that Japan just conducted its first missile drill. Air raid sirens went off and the public was involved in the whole civil defense protocol.
Let that sink in for just a minute. The Cold War is over, the "duck and cover" is in the history books. We have a civilized country in 2017, one of our major trading partners, worried about a rogue nation launching some kind of missile at them?
I will admit this. There are a great many times I am glad I no longer have the obligation of knowing some of our nation's most vital and guarded secrets. However, in today's dicey environment, I just might give my eyeteeth to take a peek below the iceberg's surface. On second thought, maybe not. It might just scare the crap out of me. All I can do is hope that our country, our nation's defenders, have war gamed North Korea enough to counter any threat.
On his show today, Glenn Beck once again talked about the EMP threat from the Norks. The Norks have never made it secret they would like to "level the playing field" by putting this country back into the dark ages. What I do not understand is this. A worst case scenario is where the Norks either by themselves, or with an accomplice, would launch 3 small nukes to detonate at the correct altitude at three strategic points over North America. It is estimated that up to 90% of our population (plus lots of Canadians and Mexicans) would perish within a year.
On the other hand, all our strategic forces are nuclear hardened. An EMP strike would not affect them. The retaliatory strike on North Korea would be absolute. Meaning - there would be nothing left alive- not even bacteria. So why would the Norks ever consider such a brazen move? I have no clue. The answer to that question might be in the 90% which lies under the water.