Friday, August 7, 2020

And why Sturgis?


"This is what I have heard from folks I know who have been to Sturgis. It is a one of a kind event. An experience. A happening. But putting that aside, riding a bike in the Black Hills is a treat all by itself."



A few years ago, my wife and I were invited to attend a wedding in Pierre, South Dakota. We decided to take a nice slow trip, so we only traveled as far as Sioux Falls on the first day. Good thing too. I-90 coming out of Minnesota, going into South Dakota, was packed with travelers. Most of them on two wheels. And why was that? It was the first week of August. In other words, Sturgis week.

It was entertaining to say the least. Some bikes were ridden, some were towed on a trailer. People from all over, all kinds of people, were making this annual pilgrimage. At the hotel we stayed at in Sioux Falls, we were but a handful of guests who were not bikers. I guess we were like muggles to them. In any event, the party light was on, and fun was in the air.

I am not a biker. I have never been to Sturgis for the big event. That being said, I am a big fan of Sturgis. And why is that? Sturgis is Americana. It is part of our culture. The wild, and crazy part of our culture, which allows us to "let er' rip" for that one time of year. Are there some nasty things that happen in Sturgis? I suppose - with 250,000 in attendance, there is always the good, the bad and the naughty. But think about that for a minute - this small town with a population of 7,000, is going to host a quarter of million people this week.

This is what I have heard from folks I know who have been to Sturgis. It is a one of a kind event. An experience. A happening. But putting that aside, riding a bike in the Black Hills is a treat all by itself. It is like the Black Hills were made specifically for motorcycles. And this time of year, the Hills are eye popping gorgeous. 

This year however, will be "one off" for Sturgis. Why? As President Trump calls it - "the invisible enemy". Otherwise known as the Wuhan virus. Some events have been cancelled, others modified. And others will go on as normal. Will there be an break out of virus once Sturgis is over? I mean, it is ripe for community spread. I sure hope not. Governor Noem hopes not. Just about everyone (except maybe Fauci), is hoping for a fun and safe event.

Ride safe and have fun friends. The eyes of the nation will be on you. You are all participating in the nation's living canvas this weekend. The canvas called Americana. You are part of it. Enjoy it, have fun, and ride hard.






 


No comments:

Post a Comment