Saturday, August 15, 2020

California, golden no longer...



"Besides being a hotspot for COVID - 19, California has so many other woes, it is wonder anyone still wants to live there."


I have addressed California before. Part of it, is fascination. When I was a young lad, my folks took me out to California to visit my aunt and see the sights. I was hooked. On the way home (during that very long drive in our non-air conditioned car), I asked my dad why we live in Minnesota. I told him everything we saw, from San Diego up to San Francisco, passed muster with me. I wanted to live in California. Welcome to California in 1958.

For all the reasons I wanted to live in California in 1958, I probably have ten times as many why I would NOT want to live there today. The once Golden State, is golden no longer. In fact, it has taken on a brown hue, just like - never mind. The state which at one time attracted citizens from all over the country, is now seeing many of those citizens leave for greener pastures. Especially those with some wealth.

This coming week, the weather is going to be drop dead beautiful in Minnesota. Not so much for California. The Drudge Report today talks about temps this upcoming week being around 110. Temps so hot, so wide spread, rolling blackouts are expected. No, I did not say brown outs - I said black outs. This once beautiful state, run into the ground with idiots like "Moonbeam" and Newsome, would rather their citizens go without power, than to give up on solar and wind mandates. 

What else is happening this upcoming week? Seems there is an alarming number of small earthquakes under the Salton Sea. And - so? The "so" is that many geologists, are fearful these smaller earthquakes might trigger a much bigger and badder quake on on the San Andreas Fault. Like - maybe the long feared "Big One".

Oh yes, speaking of earthquakes - California is now referred to as the "shake and bake" state. High temps, quakes, and very dry conditions. Every season, portions of the state (due to goofy regulations about not thinning out and removing ground cover), burns up. Houses are destroyed. This season, once again it is so hot and dry, California has the Ranch 2 Fire, which is currently zero percent contained.

Besides being a hotspot for COVID - 19, California has so many other woes, it is wonder anyone still wants to live there. High taxes, expensive gasoline, goofy politicians, hot weather, a tender box for fires, high water prices, earthquakes - the list goes on and on. The once Golden State, is golden no longer. And California has nobody to blame but themselves, for a big part of it. 

When California broke off and slid into the sea in the movie 2012, it was reported that some people cheered. If I had seen it in a movie theater, I might have been one of them.   

1 comment:

  1. "When California broke off and slid into the sea in the movie..."

    Coastal California does have its own geological destiny, but word is it's gradually heading toward Alaska.

    ReplyDelete