Sunday, August 28, 2016

Around the bend, gently...






"To hear the stories about people I am just getting to know is very good. To hear the stories of friends is even better. All stories are special; all are unique."



I have to say - this past week was one of the best my wife and I have had in a while. It was loads of fun. One of the things I have never taken for granted, is our friends. However as I have aged, I realize more and more how important friendship is. Making new friends, reconnecting with past friends, or just maintaining relationships.


I was told once in a performance review something interesting. Once the formal part of the review was over, my boss looked at me and said, "You really like people, don't you." I replied that I did. He said it showed in my customer relations as well as peer relationships.

I did back then, and I do more so now. I love people, and I love to hear their stories. When ever I make a new friend, it is not a "notch in my belt" of friends, it is a blessing which allows growth in my heart. 

I treasure my friends. I treasure people who are not yet my friend. I admit, on that one I often come up short. That being said, I really love the stories that people tell. I have worked hard as I have aged to be a better listener to those valuable stories. To hear the stories about people I am just getting to know is very good. To hear the stories of friends is even better. All stories are special; all are unique.

One of my good friends from my early years recently passed. Not a long good-bye, it was rather sudden. At reunions I would sit with her and tease her, as she always "wrecked the curve" when we were younger. We would laugh and tell each other stories we remembered from those days so long ago. My friend ended up being quite accomplished. A college professor. But to me she was still Alice. The very nice girl who was so much smarter than most of us. I loved the fact that we reconnected. 

One of the things I have learned from my wife is to stay away from excuses such as "should have, could have, would have". In other words, seize the day. Or, as was said by Robin Williams in the movie Dead Poets Society, "Carpe Diem!"

In this world, which many of us believe is not our final home, our friendships, our connections, are vital. We were made to be relational beings. And our friendships, our relationships, are truly a gift from God.




No comments:

Post a Comment