Sunday, August 21, 2016

It all starts this week!






"How did my addition start? When I was a young boy. Actually, it has been in my family for generations." 



Okay. I will admit it. I am an addict. A big time addict. Am I getting treatment for my addiction? No thanks - I kind of enjoy it. I am addicted to the Minnesota State Fair. And it all starts on Thursday.

How did my addition start? When I was a young boy. Actually, it has been in my family for generations. My Mother would tell stories of going to the fair when she was a young girl. That would be about 95 years ago. There were no foot long hot dog stands, candy cane stands, No Martha's cookies and so on. My Grandmother would fry up some chicken and they would bring it to the fair to use for lunch. Even though the fair was not as "glitzie" back then, my Mother would still have a ball.

Then the depression happened, After that, World War II happened. Then finally, peace and prosperity. My Mother married my Father and soon there was my sister and myself. When we were old enough to walk, it was off to the fair. My Father, who worked in the manufacturing business of making rock crushers, loved the old Machinery Hill. My Mother loved just about everything else. So from an early age, it was in my blood.

Flash forward to the 1970's. I was discharged from active duty, met my wife, got married and...yes - the fair. Since we were married in 1974, we have gone most every year. You guessed it - we dragged our kids with us. And now one is married and one is still single. What is one of the things they have in common? They both LOVE the fair! The tradition continues!

On Thursday, it all starts again. My wife and I will be there at zero dark thirty. First order of business? The breakfast of champions of course! A foot long hot dog dripping with fresh onions and mustard. Can life get any better?

We will then stroll  through the livestock yards, the food garden (of course), the dog area, the numerous exhibits and so forth. We will come home in the early afternoon with some trinkets and hand outs, and a full belly of everything the doctors tell us not to eat!

So, as the Rogers and Hammerstein musical goes, "Our State Fair is the best State Fair - don't miss it, don't even be late!" Don't worry - we won't!  

No comments:

Post a Comment