Monday, August 1, 2016

Trump vs. Trump (again...)





"How bad has it become? Most people think the race is now set between Trump and Clinton. I wish it were so. However, I am afraid the real race is between Trump and Trump."



"Never miss an opportunity to keep your mouth shut." One of my most favorite quotes. I just wish I was more aware of it when I was younger. And who first said this most memorable quote? Some say Samuel Clements. Some say Will Rogers. Most however, say Robert Newton Peck. In any event, it is now part of our lexicon. It is sage advice we should all follow. In particular, Donald J. Trump.

I have said since the get go. In this election season, the worst enemy Donald Trump has is - Donald Trump. Trump is an interesting man for sure. On one hand, his shoot from the hip brashness is an attractor to many voters today. On the other hand, he can have a performance like he did yesterday on a Sunday show which yields nothing more than fodder for the Democrats. 

How bad has it become? Most people think the race is now set between Trump and Clinton. I wish it were so. However, I am afraid the real race is between Trump and Trump. Which Trump will win out? The one who is wickedly smart and can make lemonade out of lemons in real estate deals? Or the one who never lets the lack of facts get in the way of a good story. Or the one who will insult everyone, up to and including war heroes.

The latest kerfuffle is with the parents of Capt. Khan, the American soldier (who happened to be Muslim) who died fighting in Afghanistan. This would have been the PERFECT opportunity for Trump to take the high road. To tell George S. on the ABC Sunday Morning show that he is very sorry for their loss. That he recognizes Capt. Khan's sacrifice for his country. He did not did to insult Mrs. Khan. He did not need to tell George that he (Trump) has also sacrificed for his country. How? By building skyscrapers (Huh?). No, this would have been a perfect time to KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

I am going to have to revert back to my Navy lingo just for a minute. If Trump does not get his poop in a group (and fast), he is going to hand this election over to Hillary on a silver platter. Mark Cuban, who was backing Trump, is now backing Hillary. Why? Because Trump is too off the wall for Cuban. He is out of control. Many people don't want a President who is out of control. They will vote for a confirmed crook and liar instead.

So the beat goes on. If things don't turn around, I don't know how much more I can watch. This is painful - very, very painful. I think I now have said too much. It is time for me to keep my mouth shut.




No comments:

Post a Comment