Monday, August 8, 2016

When its all been said and done....






"Because some of us have needlessly gone to a primary once defeated in the caucus system, old wounds are once again fresh wounds. And many wounds take a long time to heal." 



Yes, I know. The title of this article is the same title as one of my favorite faith songs. The song was sung at my Dad's funeral. It is haunting and beautiful at the same time. But this article is not about funerals nor songs. It is about politics.

Tomorrow night it will be over. This torturous thing called a primary. I ask myself many times, why in the world do we have a primary in Minnesota? After all, we are a caucus state. Should not the results of the caucus be enough? Where the losers in the caucus support the winners? And then the winners from both the Republican and Democrats caucus events would face off in the general.

Never mind my rambling. That is just my simple mind trying to figure out what has now become a complicated and often contentious process. In fact it is so contentious, I am afraid once it is over, there will be bodies littering the street (politically).

On Wednesday, we need to remember what this game is really all about. It is called beating the hell out of the Democrats in November. Because some of us have needlessly been dragged into to a primary contest after winning the caucus, old wounds have once again turned into fresh wounds. And many wounds take a long time to heal. Some never heal, and leave a visible scar. That being said, to win the day in November, we need to find it within ourselves to heal and heal quickly.

Here is the irony about political disagreements. Not only within our party, but also between the two major parties. I have had this conversation with one of my good constitutional friends who is running for office this year. If EVERYONE followed the Constitution as written, and did not try to put "spin on it", there would be very few political disagreements. That is a fact. The framers intentionally made our founding documents short and sweet so all could understand and follow them. 

On Wednesday, should any of the folks that I am backing lose the primary, I will shake hands with the winner(s). Even if I have to bite the inside of my cheek in doing so. We must reconcile and unite on Wednesday!

Now will come the very unpopular part of this article, as I close it out. To say you will not vote, or write someone in on the ballot, or vote for some obscure third party, is really a vote for the Democrats. One only has to go back in history to Ross Perot giving us Bill Clinton or Tom Horner giving us Mark Dayton. Or four million Republicans staying home in 2012, thereby giving us four more years of Obama.

Will I kiss and make up? Yes, I will have to. Hopefully however, I will be on the receiving end of the kiss rather than the giving end. In other words, I expect my team to win.    

No comments:

Post a Comment