Sunday, August 7, 2016

Why primary someone?








"If you live in Minnesota 31B, please join me on Tuesday in voting for Cal Bahr. He is the right man for the right job at the right time." 


This coming Tuesday is Minnesota's primary day. For most years, this day is somewhat of a "meh". This year it is different. How so? For example, in the senate district I live in, both sides (A + B) are being contested. Both sides are being contested by strict constitutionalists. These races are garnering a lot of press for different reasons. One seat (A), is currently being held by the Speaker of the House. The other seat (B), has already been "won" by virtue of the endorsement process.

I have never run for office, nor have I ever been a campaign manager. That being said, I do know this much. In order to win a seat, you must first make a case for why the current seat holder should be fired. Once that is done, you then need to make an even stronger case why you should be hired.

The man who is challenging the Speaker jumped into the race a bit late - like way after the endorsing convention. It was even after the state convention. But he made "the gate" so to speak. That set up a conundrum for some in this side of the district. The Speaker was endorsed at the endorsement convention. Some who are supporting his challenger also voted to endorse the Speaker. But during the last session, some believe the Speaker violated his pledge to not raise taxes. Some believe he was behind a large increase in licence tab fees, offered as a compromise to advance the stalled transportation bill. And that is when the challenger jumped into the race.

The other side of the district is a whole different story. The challenger (Cal Bahr), has been in this race before. Twice before, he challenged Tom Hackbarth for his seat. Twice before, he was defeated for the endorsement. Twice before, Cal stood down after Hackbarth won the endorsement. This year however, Cal Bahr was successful. He won he endorsement. Both Cal Bahr and Tom Hackbarth promised before the endorsement vote was taken, they would abide by the endorsement. Hackbarth didn't. And now he is mucking things up by running against Cal in the primary. 

I am somewhat of a purist on our election system. I have addressed this issue before. If Hackbarth had won the endorsement, even though I much prefer Cal Bahr (like I did the past time Cal ran), I would have supported Tom Hackbarth in the general election. By the same token, if I lived in the Speaker's side of the district, I would support the Speaker, even if I thought the challenger was much more qualified. Why? The BPOU endorsed the Speaker. I endorsed the Speaker. The only way out of this would be to "un-endorse" the Speaker. And that is not going to happen at this late date.

Yesterday, I put out some more signs for Cal Bahr. I have walked in parades for him. I have hosted a fund raiser for him. And Tuesday, I will vote for him. In my book, Cal laid out a perfect argument on why Tom Hackbarth should be fired. And then he followed it up with the even more perfect argument on why Cal should be hired. 

If you live in Minnesota 31B, please join me on Tuesday in voting for Cal Bahr. He is the right man for the right job at the right time. Plus he has answered the question on why to vote for someone. Cal will break the status quo. Kick over some tables which have long needed kicking. Show the good old boys and girls club the people still have a voice in what is going on. That is why I am voting for Cal.



1 comment:

  1. You are doing it correctly. The endorsement means almost nothing unless those doing the endorsing actually MAKE it have value by giving time, money, effort and enthusiasm to supporting the endorsed candidate. It doesn't matter WHY that candidate was endorsed over the incumbent, and a difference of opinion is certainly likely, but what matters is not how to defeat the incumbent but rather how to defeat the Democrat. The "best" Republican may not win the general election, and the convention carries the responsibility for picking somebody that can.

    ReplyDelete