Tuesday, May 17, 2016

17 to 1






"Now we can play the shoulda, woulda, coulda game all we want this year. And we can have a civil war within the party. We can break off and go third party. The opportunities are endless on how we can hand this election to Hillary."



Okay.  I will say it. I have been thinking about this for quite a while now. But things are starting to get out of control. Could even get very, very ugly. I will say this one more time. I was not a Donald Trump guy during the beginning of the campaign. I had my guy, and it was not Donald Trump.

I forgot if there were 16 or 17 candidates starting out. Anyhow, it no longer matters. They are all good men (and one very good woman). Some pundits said this was the best Republican field of candidates - ever.

I watched most every debate (as painful as they sometimes were) and paid attention to what each was saying. I watched some very, very good candidates go after this non-politician guy from New York. This guy who was only a real estate businessman with not a smidgen of political experience. Then I watched this guy with no experience make chop liver out of the rest of the field. One by one, they fell.

Finally it was between Donald Trump and my guy, Ted Cruz. Cruz had an excellent ground game, and was picking off delegates right under Trump's nose. And did Donald ever get steamed! But even with the smart strategy and excellent state by state volunteers Ted Cruz had, the Trump juggernaut kept rolling. Finally to most everyone's surprise, even Ted Cruz had to pull out. Donald Trump played King of the Hill with all of them, and now he was standing by himself on top of the hill.

There is talk that some of the states are going to deny their delegates the chance to vote for Trump when they get to national. Even if Trump has the delegate count, some will try to take the nomination away from him. Should that happen, I see all hell breaking loose in Cleveland. It would end of any chance we have to get the White House back. 

Once again, I see the Republicans ready to fall on their swords. Four years ago, there was so much apathy with the Mitt Romney nomination, four million Republican voters stayed home on election night. Most pundits really thought Obama was toast after his miserable first term. We had him on the ropes. Then we let him up. A combination of the tepid performances in the debates as well as millions of voters staying home cemented it for Obama.

Now we can play the shoulda, woulda, coulda game all we want this year. And we can have a civil war within the party. We can break off and go third party. The opportunities are endless on how we can hand this election to Hillary.

Like I said, Donald Trump has never been my guy. But he is the last man standing. And I will support him against Hillary. The BEST thing the others who did survive the campaign, is to help Donald Trump succeed. In fact, we all need to help him. We need to help him get better. To fill in the weak spots. He might be our worst President since Millard Fillmore. Or he might just fix Washington. It is true nobody owns him. We just don't know. We do however, know all about Hillary, and how she would wreck the country even more than it is wrecked now.

I know many of my friends disagree with this position. Like I say, I have thought hard about it and played out as many of the outcomes as I could imagine. Donald Trump survived 16 other candidates. I think he can survive against Hillary also.  

No comments:

Post a Comment