Monday, May 23, 2016

Legislative Linchpin






"In my book then, the Social Security fix should have become the linchpin to the session."



I am so mad this morning, I am about ready to throw up in my mouth! I know, I know - politics is about whose ox is gored. But it is also about promises kept. And I am SO sick and tired of hearing "Well, you know. We only do have 1/3 of the power in St. Paul!" The 1/3 we have is supposed to be the BEST 1/3! We have the House where all this stuff is suppose to originate. We hold the purse strings.

Now comes the bad news for all who participated in this 11 week waste of time and money. You have to have to go home and face your constituents. Face the tax payers in your district. The people you have promised things to. And the blame game of pointing fingers at the other side is not going to cut it this time.

Why do I say that? Without naming names, I was told (promised) after the last session was over, the number one thing to be addressed this session was the Social Security fix. Yes friends - that is a true statement.

In my book then, the Social Security fix should have become the linchpin of the session. The Governor should have been informed of that long before the festivities started. Or to put it mildly, THERE WOULD BE NO DEAL REACHED ON ANYTHING UNLESS THAT LINCHPIN ISSUE WAS ADDRESSED FIRST!!

One of the things I have been blessed with in my life is a very good memory. It was served me well throughout the years. I can remember things, people and conversations quite clearly. I have tried to remind people on the tax committee as well as House and Senate leadership about the promise to address this issue first.

Then the tax plan was leaked to the press. It even has some goofy name so that Goofy would sign it. The "don't stop believing" tax bill. And guess what was not even mentioned as a footnote in that goofy bill? Our Social Security fix. The linchpin issue for this session. 

Just as a reminder to those who think I am a single issue guy. Trust me, I am not. This issue however, is vitally important to Minnesota. And it does not just affect a minority of folks, it affects EVERYONE, as one day we will all be drawing Social Security. 43 out of the 50 states have already figured out this is wrong to tax. 7 states, including Minnesota, have not.

At the MNGOP state convention, my friend Jack showed up wearing a jacket with a fake knife sticking in his back. Little did I know how prophetic that symbol would be at the end of session. No roads and bridges fix, and no Social Security fix. I guess the session deserves an "F" in my book.      

No comments:

Post a Comment