Sunday, May 8, 2016

Eating our young






"Besmirching character, integrity, veracity, personal appearance, spouses, parents, nothing was off limits."




I really don't know where it started. Or when it started. All I know is that it is here. And I hate it. It is as ugly as ugly gets. For some reason unknown to me, people on my side of the fence have decided to turn their guns on each other. I would like to remind them that the target is on the other side of the fence. And after the past seven plus years, the target we are looking at is huge. And the two people on the other side who are vying to replace the President have equally big targets on their backs.

Maybe the way we treat each other started during the Republican debates. It was painful to watch those many fine people go after each other not only with vigor, but also with callous indifference. Besmirching character, integrity, veracity, personal appearance, spouses, parents - nothing seemed to be off limits. When I watched some of the exchanges, that old trite saying came back to me - "With friends like this, who needs enemies?"

We can do better folks. We really can. Are we going to hate each other to death before the first vote is taken? We know who the enemy is, and it is not us. Not by a long shot. So then why do we seem to hate each other so much? Why do we not save some of that venom for the other side? If someone knows the answer to that one, please, please let us know!

I have made my decision on what I am going to do this November. And I will keep that decision private, at least for now. That being said, others have made their choices loud and clear. And you will not hear one bit of negative critique coming out of me (unless of course, the vote is for the other side of the ticket).

So on this beautiful Sunday morning, on this once a year event called Mother's Day, let us all remember some of the sage advice most of us received from Mom. "If you can't say something kind, don't say anything at all." I know I sure heard that from my Mother - numerous times.

No comments:

Post a Comment