Tuesday, April 12, 2016

A true tax story






"It brought back memories of when I tried to get state tax withheld from our Social Security checks. Sorry - no can do."



Please don't think I am on a rant just about taxes. Okay - this time of year you can. What I am now going to now recount is a true story. It really is! And it happened today right after we electronically filed our taxes.

Early this afternoon we had some errands to run. One of my stops was at my bank (well known as a brand new stadium is named after it) . I needed to have some state taxes deducted from my IRA. I sat with the branch manager and told him what I needed done. After a few calls around the corporation, the answer came back. Sorry - we don't do that. If you want federal tax withheld, we can do that. But state taxes - no can do.

It brought back memories of when I tried to get state tax withheld from our Social Security checks. Sorry - no can do. And then I had a thought, why is that? It is because most states either have no Social Security taxes or income taxes at all for retirees? So the rest of us (like us in this state), get smacked this time of year.

I was so frustrated I stopped at our local liquor store for a refresh (Tuesday are value days for liquor). Keep in mind, this is a true story. As I was checking out, I joked with the cashier (who I did not know) and said I did not drink, but after doing my taxes, I was ready to start. She looked at me and said, "This is the first year in forever we had to pay in. My husband just started drawing Social Security and it killed us this year." 

I told her I was aware of this issue, and was working on it with our St. Paul representatives. She told me someone had told her it would be fixed this year. As if it were not, she and her husband did not know what they would do. I told her our representatives had this as a high priority this year, and were working on it as fast as they can. If they can't fix it this session, many will leave - including us. She told me she did not want to leave, having kids and grandkids in the area, but she could not afford to continue living here. This unjust issue absolutely needs to be fixed.

Note to St. Paul. There are thousands of these stories. Many folks are getting ready to leave. This MUST be fixed this session. If not, more and more retirees and their money will leave - and soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment