Wednesday, April 13, 2016

And now - water closets?






"But hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go. I would think this entire controversy, if it was known worldwide, would be thought of as silly by many people."



I am finding these "bathroom bills" somewhat amusing. If you can take the pervert issue out of the equation, I think it is a whole lot of nothing. Or as Pat Buchanan calls it, "a nothing burger". Those that have been around a while and traveled to other places on this planet (which are second world or even third world), there are no "men's" and "women's" bathroom. Only a water closet - or worse.

When I was in Japan in the 1970's, communal bathrooms were not uncommon. I will have to admit the first time I went into a stall after a lady came out, it was a bit weird for this Minnesota boy. But hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go. I would think this entire controversy, if it was known worldwide, would be thought of as silly by many people.

Back in the 1980's, my wife and I were visiting my best man who lived in Denver. We went to a concert at the famous Red Rocks outdoor amphitheater. About halfway through the show, the main women's bathroom suffered some kind of catastrophic failure. In other words, it was unusable. It was then announced from the stage for the rest of the show, women were allowed to use the men's bathroom - along with the men. Again, it was a bit strange at first, but when you gotta go, you gotta go.

At the start of this article, I had to take the pervert issue out. Now I will put it back in. This is the random variable to letting someone use a communal bathroom that also has kids using it. As sad as it is to say, some idiot from an organization like NAMBLA (North American Man/Boy Love Association) could take advantage of it - at the peril of an innocent child. And that is the rub. And also the killer to have our bathrooms become water closets. 

Somehow this has become a partisan issue. It should not be. The Democrats who always bemoan they are "for the kids", should be out front on this one. My solution is simple. If we are going to accept transgender bathrooms in this state, make the penalty for abusing those who use them so severe, it would make any pervert think twice. 

It is really too bad it all came to this. The old "WC" or water closet is an innocent term from the past which today is now a hot potato. Too bad, so sad. And the fight continues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment